cfriedberg

Default Help with Combo Box

I currently use Excel 2000, and have a list of names. I would like to
create a combo box that would allow the user to either find the name by
scrolling through or by typing in the first few letters of the name.
When I create the combo box on the worksheet using the forms button for
combo box, it doesn't allow me to type in the first few letters. any
help appreciated. charles

--
cfriedberg
cfriedberg's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=25652

aristotle

Hi, have you considered using validation? Does it have to be a combo
box?

aristotle
aristotle's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=25653
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=390608

cfriedberg

what do you mean by 'validation'? I still need a lookup function.

--
cfriedberg
cfriedberg's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=25652
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=390608

cfriedberg

I looked up validation, and I understand, however, the list I would be
referencing would be over 1,000 items long, and would grow through
time, so the ability to type in the first few letters of the item so
that the list would pare down to only relevant items is crucial. Can
this be done in validation? I don't see where. Thanks.

--
cfriedberg
cfriedberg's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=25652
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=390608

Dave Peterson

Make sure you used the combobox from the control toolbox toolbar.

I'd set the style to: fmstyledropdownlist
and change the matchentry to: fmmatchentrycomplete

While in design mode--also an icon on that control toolbox toolbar, right click
on the combobox and select properties and you'll find these settings.

(Data|Validation doesn't support this.)