wines4u

Default hyperlink to jpg files

In Excel 2000 on my old computer, hyperlinks to jpg files opend the files in
Windows Fax & Picture Viewer. Now on my new computer the files open in MSIE6.
How can I change this to the same way as my old computer?
Norman Jones

Hi Wines4U,

Depending on your OS version, the precise steps may vary a tad but this
should resolve your problem:

In Explorer, Tools | Folder Options | File Types | Navigate to jpg | Click
the 'Open With ' Change button | Select Windows Fax & Picture Viewer |
Confirm.

---
Regards,
Norman

"wines4u" wrote in message
In Excel 2000 on my old computer, hyperlinks to jpg files opend the files
in
Windows Fax & Picture Viewer. Now on my new computer the files open in
MSIE6.
How can I change this to the same way as my old computer?

Gord Dibben

Or perhaps a simpler method.

Open Windows Explorer, select a .jpg file and SHIFT + Right-click and "Open
With" then "Choose Program".

Don't forget to check the "Always open with" box.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

"wines4u" wrote in message
In Excel 2000 on my old computer, hyperlinks to jpg files opend the files
in
Windows Fax & Picture Viewer. Now on my new computer the files open in
MSIE6.
How can I change this to the same way as my old computer?

TomR

Solution given by both Norman and Gord DO NOT WORK! I have a PC running
EXCEL 2002 in Windows XP and one running EXCEL 2003 in Windows 95. On both
I've set file type of .jpg to open with Windows Fax & Picture Viewer, but if
I set up a hyperlink in an EXCEL spreadsheet it opens with Microsoft Photo
Editor. I even went through EVERY file type removing ANY opens with
Microsoft Photo Editor and the hyperlinks in spreadsheet still open in the
editor. The problem is in EXCEL which is overriding the OS file type "open
with" assignments. DOES ANYBODY KNOW HOW CORRECT THIS WITHIN EXCEL?

"wines4u" wrote in message
In Excel 2000 on my old computer, hyperlinks to jpg files opend the files
in
Windows Fax & Picture Viewer. Now on my new computer the files open in
MSIE6.
How can I change this to the same way as my old computer?

Myrna Larson

running EXCEL 2003 in Windows 95

YOu must have a typo there. Excel 2003 requires Windows 2000-SP3 or Windows
XP. It won't run under Windows 95.

Dave Peterson

It works ok for me.

But I've seen quite a few posts that say it didn't work for them. The bad news
is that I've never seen anyone give a procedure that always works.

--

Dave Peterson
Dave Peterson

In fact, I use a very nice program call Irfanview (http://www.irfanview.com)

When you install it, it asks if it should take over file associations (and
respects your choices!).

You may want to try it to see if that'll steal it back for you.

===
I bet you'll like all the feature in irfanview much more than "windows fax &
picture viewer"!