Jambruins

Default Updating a table...can this be done?

I am keeping track of a won/loss record and am wondeing if the following can
be done. Every day I keep track of wins and losses. I also keep track of
the wins and losses for the whole season. So in cell A1 I have total wins
for the year (cell B1 is total losses for year). Every day I add the new
wins to cell A1 and the new losses to cell B1. The wins and losses for each
day are setup in another sheet that has a bunch of formulas to decide the
wins and losses. This updates everyday whenever I add the data. Is there a
way to have my totals (cells A1 and B1) add the new values in? Every day the
new value overrides yesterdays value.

For example, say cell A1=20 and today there are 5 more wins to add (cell
C1). Is there a way to have cell A1=25 with manually doing it. The cell
that contains the 5 will change tomorrow so I can't just use A1+C1.

If you don't understand please say so and I will try to make it more
understandable. Thank you.

Gord Dibben

Jam

Are you sure you want to do this?

Think about it after reading the following.

You can have a cumulative total in a cell if you have a
separate source cell for adding a new total to the original.

Use at your own risk. I am Posting this just to show you how it can
be done, not as a good solution. You would be much better off to
have another column so you can keep track of past entries.

Goes like this: =IF(CELL("address")="$C$4",C4+D4,D4)

Enter this in cell D4 and then in ToolsOptionsCalculation check
Iterations and set to 1.

Now when you change the number in C4, D4 will accumulate.

Note 1. If C4 is selected and a calculation takes place anywhere in
the Application D4 will update even if no new number is entered in
C4. NOT GOOD.

Note 2. This operation is not recommended because you will have no
"paper trail" to follow. Any mistake in entering a new number in C4
cannot be corrected. NOT GOOD.

To clear out the accumulated total in D4 and start over, select D4
and EditEnter.

Check out Laurent Longre's MoreFunc.xla. Has a Function RECALL
which does what you want without the re-calculation problem, but
again there is no "paper trail" for back-checking in case of errors
in data input.

http://longre.free.fr/english/func_cats.htm

Having said that, check out J.E. McGimpsey's site for VBA methods.

http://mcgimpsey.com/excel/accumulator.html

Gord Dibben Excel MVP