CliffoftheDesert

Default How do I Remove "Links?"

I have a fairly large database in an Excel document that I've been working on
for the past three years. For the past week or so I've been getting a
message every time I try to open the document saying "the workbook you opened
contains automatic links to information in another workbook." If it does, it
happened accidentally, for I never intended to link any other workbook. If I
click on "Edit Links," I am then given the option to "Break Link." However,
when I click on Break Link, it doesn't remove this phantom link and I'm given
the same error message the next time I try to open the document. Any
suggestions on how to get rid of this?

Thanks!
Gordon

"CliffoftheDesert" wrote in
message ...
I have a fairly large database in an Excel document that I've been working

on
for the past three years. For the past week or so I've been getting a
message every time I try to open the document saying "the workbook you

opened
contains automatic links to information in another workbook." If it does,

it
happened accidentally, for I never intended to link any other workbook. If

click on "Edit Links," I am then given the option to "Break Link."

However,
when I click on Break Link, it doesn't remove this phantom link and I'm

given
the same error message the next time I try to open the document. Any
suggestions on how to get rid of this?

Thanks!

Get the utility at the top of this page:
http://www.acctadv.com/exceldownloads.php

HTH

CliffoftheDesert

I'm afraid that this is my fault, but I'm not able to open either of these
link finders. It's my fault as I should have said at the outset that I use a
Mac, and he Mac doesn't recognize these file types. Thank you both for
trying though!

Cliff

"CliffoftheDesert" wrote:

I have a fairly large database in an Excel document that I've been working on
for the past three years. For the past week or so I've been getting a
message every time I try to open the document saying "the workbook you opened
contains automatic links to information in another workbook." If it does, it
happened accidentally, for I never intended to link any other workbook. If I
click on "Edit Links," I am then given the option to "Break Link." However,
when I click on Break Link, it doesn't remove this phantom link and I'm given
the same error message the next time I try to open the document. Any
suggestions on how to get rid of this?

Thanks!

Dave Peterson

maybe you can use edit|Find and look for: .xls
If you have links to other workbooks that use .xls as an extension (do Mac's do
this???)

Or look for: [ (open square bracket)
They're used in formulas that link to other workbooks, too.

"CliffoftheDesert" wrote:

I have a fairly large database in an Excel document that I've been working on
for the past three years. For the past week or so I've been getting a
message every time I try to open the document saying "the workbook you opened
contains automatic links to information in another workbook." If it does, it
happened accidentally, for I never intended to link any other workbook. If I
click on "Edit Links," I am then given the option to "Break Link." However,
when I click on Break Link, it doesn't remove this phantom link and I'm given
the same error message the next time I try to open the document. Any
suggestions on how to get rid of this?

Thanks!

--

Dave Peterson

CliffoftheDesert

I tried the search for .xls and none came up. Searching for open square
brackets was a bit of a problem, since they are used extensively throghout
the document and have been all along. I looked at each, however, and didn't
see anything that looked out of the ordinary. The problem still persists.

Thanks.

Cliff

"CliffoftheDesert" wrote:

I have a fairly large database in an Excel document that I've been working on
for the past three years. For the past week or so I've been getting a
message every time I try to open the document saying "the workbook you opened
contains automatic links to information in another workbook." If it does, it
happened accidentally, for I never intended to link any other workbook. If I
click on "Edit Links," I am then given the option to "Break Link." However,
when I click on Break Link, it doesn't remove this phantom link and I'm given
the same error message the next time I try to open the document. Any
suggestions on how to get rid of this?

Thanks!

--

Dave Peterson

Dave Peterson

Maybe asking in a Mac newsgroup would help.

microsoft.public.mac.office.excel

I went to shareware.com and searched for zip on just the mac platform and got
this hit:

http://www.download.com/3000-2254-5040047.html

But I'm not sure if Bill Manville's addin will work on a mac.

If you get it extracted, can you post back with your results.

"CliffoftheDesert" wrote:

I have a fairly large database in an Excel document that I've been working on
for the past three years. For the past week or so I've been getting a
message every time I try to open the document saying "the workbook you opened
contains automatic links to information in another workbook." If it does, it
happened accidentally, for I never intended to link any other workbook. If I
click on "Edit Links," I am then given the option to "Break Link." However,
when I click on Break Link, it doesn't remove this phantom link and I'm given
the same error message the next time I try to open the document. Any
suggestions on how to get rid of this?

Thanks!

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Dave Peterson

It's not a URL, it's a newsgroup.

How about:

If I paste it into MSIE, I get tossed into Outlook Express and see the
newsgroup.

I have no idea how it'll work on a Mac.

(I don't visit the communities site, but isn't there a mac community on that CDO
stuff?)

"CliffoftheDesert" wrote:

[...]

CliffoftheDesert

No, that didn't work either, but I looked up Mac excel discussion groups on
google and it came up with a google group. I've posted to that and we'll see
if I get a response.

Thanks.

Cliff

"CliffoftheDesert" wrote:

[...]

CliffoftheDesert

Thanks again for all of your efforts, Dave. So far nothing there, and it
doesn't look like a very active forum. But we'll see.

Cliff