CliffoftheDesert

I appreciate your trying, Dave. I can extract zip files. That's not the
issue. But his add-in caused Excel to freeze, so it doesn't appear to be Mac
compatible.

Cliff

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

Maybe asking in a Mac newsgroup would help.

microsoft.public.mac.office.excel

I went to shareware.com and searched for zip on just the mac platform and got
this hit:

http://www.download.com/3000-2254-5040047.html

But I'm not sure if Bill Manville's addin will work on a mac.

If you get it extracted, can you post back with your results.

CliffoftheDesert wrote:

I tried the search for .xls and none came up. Searching for open square
brackets was a bit of a problem, since they are used extensively throghout
the document and have been all along. I looked at each, however, and didn't
see anything that looked out of the ordinary. The problem still persists.

Thanks.

Cliff

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

maybe you can use edit|Find and look for: .xls
If you have links to other workbooks that use .xls as an extension (do Mac's do
this???)

Or look for: [ (open square bracket)
They're used in formulas that link to other workbooks, too.

CliffoftheDesert wrote:

I'm afraid that this is my fault, but I'm not able to open either of these
link finders. It's my fault as I should have said at the outset that I use a
Mac, and he Mac doesn't recognize these file types. Thank you both for
trying though!

Cliff

"CliffoftheDesert" wrote:

I have a fairly large database in an Excel document that I've been working on
for the past three years. For the past week or so I've been getting a
message every time I try to open the document saying "the workbook you opened
contains automatic links to information in another workbook." If it does, it
happened accidentally, for I never intended to link any other workbook. If I
click on "Edit Links," I am then given the option to "Break Link." However,
when I click on Break Link, it doesn't remove this phantom link and I'm given
the same error message the next time I try to open the document. Any
suggestions on how to get rid of this?

Thanks!

--

Dave Peterson