Girish Punjabi

Default Help - Simple Formula !

Hi Forum ,

I have two worksheets . Worksheet ,NewList has two columns , FirstName
, LastName.
Worksheet ,MasterList has 3 columns, FirstName, LastName, Properties.
I want to add a third column ,Properties to worksheet ,NewList such
that it compares FirstName and LastName from MasterList and returns the
corresponding Properties value from MasterList.

The most important constraint here is that FirstName,LastName value
should be on the same row .
For e.g., FirstName(1),LastName(1) in NewList could be
FirstName(6),LastName(6) in MasterList and I need to return
Properties(6) from the MasterList into Properties(1) in NewList.
The values in brackets above refer to the row number.

Looks like this will involve , IF ,AND and MATCH functions together.

Hope this is not confusing .

I know this must have been asked and responded to by the experts
several times.

All the help will be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Girish

--
Girish Punjabi
Girish Punjabi's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=16048

duane

i assumed your master list is in columns a-c. if you can put in a
column d where d2 = a2&b2 and copied down. then

=OFFSET(Sheet1!C1,MATCH(A2&B2,Sheet1!D2:D4,0),0)

where my sheet1 is your master list sheet

and my a2 and b2 are the names on newlist

note i only did this for 3 rows (2:4

--
duane

duane's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=11624
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=387693

Earl Kiosterud

Duane,

One exposure here is ambiguous first/last name combinations. Jons Mith and
Jon Smith would be equivalent. Probably not a great example, but it's
getting late. I'm trying. You could protect against that with:

d2 = a2 & "*" & b2
=OFFSET(Sheet1!C1,MATCH(A2 & "*" & B2,Sheet1!D2:D4,0),0)

Untested. The asterisk could be any character.
--
Earl Kiosterud
www.smokeylake.com

"duane" wrote in
message ...

i assumed your master list is in columns a-c. if you can put in a
column d where d2 = a2&b2 and copied down. then

=OFFSET(Sheet1!C1,MATCH(A2&B2,Sheet1!D2:D4,0),0)

where my sheet1 is your master list sheet

and my a2 and b2 are the names on newlist

note i only did this for 3 rows (2:4

--
duane

duane's Profile: