Earl Kiosterud

Duane,

One exposure here is ambiguous first/last name combinations. Jons Mith and
Jon Smith would be equivalent. Probably not a great example, but it's
getting late. I'm trying. You could protect against that with:

d2 = a2 & "*" & b2
=OFFSET(Sheet1!C1,MATCH(A2 & "*" & B2,Sheet1!D2:D4,0),0)

Untested. The asterisk could be any character.
--
Earl Kiosterud
www.smokeylake.com

"duane" wrote in
message ...

i assumed your master list is in columns a-c. if you can put in a
column d where d2 = a2&b2 and copied down. then

=OFFSET(Sheet1!C1,MATCH(A2&B2,Sheet1!D2:D4,0),0)

where my sheet1 is your master list sheet

and my a2 and b2 are the names on newlist

note i only did this for 3 rows (2:4

--
duane

duane's Profile: