Cheryl Carling

Default Missing Personal.xls in Office 2003 Upgrade

Im upgrading my company from Office 2000 to Office 2003 and have people
losing their Macros or Personal.xls files does anyone have a clue as to why
this may happen?

Thanks,
-CC

Dave Peterson

Excel is usually pretty smart to find any XLStart that was supported in previous
versions.

But for some reason, it's having trouble with your upgrade (I don't have a guess
why).

But if you can find that personal.xls, you could move them to the folder that
xl2003 will find.

I'd use windows start button|search
to look for personal.xl* (could be personal.xls or personal.xla)

Make a note of that location.

Start excel.
hit alt-f11 (to get to the VBE)
hit ctrl-g (to see the immediate window)
type this and hit enter:
?application.startuppath
For me (winXP and xl2003), I get:
C:\Documents and Settings\(username)\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART

Then close excel.

Now go back to the location of the personal.xl* file and cut it. Paste it into
that XLStart folder.

And restart excel to test it.

--

Dave Peterson
Gord Dibben

Macros can live in Workbooks, Add-ins or Personal.xls.

These must generally be transferred over when upgrading.

Find Personal.xls on the old setup and place it in the XLSTART folder of the
new setup.

I know, the Office installation "should" take of things like this, but does
not occur too regularly.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 12:40:06 -0700, "Cheryl Carling" <Cheryl
wrote:

I’m upgrading my company from Office 2000 to Office 2003 and have people
losing their Macros or Personal.xls files does anyone have a clue as to why
this may happen?

Thanks,
-CC

Cheryl Carling

Thanks Dave and Gord for getting back to me. We did search the hard drive
and came up with nothing. I think this is a one of those things where it
will remain a mystery. If we do figure out what happen I will post back.

Thanks again,
-CC