gobonniego

Default Deleteing cells in Excel

I've pasted the same info off a web page into three columns on a spreadsheet.
I neet to get a title, hyperlink and decription to go across the page, not
down. By pasting it three times, I just have to clean it up. (The titles
all say "Title:" in front of them.) But cleaning up is a real pain. Is it
possible to delete from the auto sort drop down box? (Or any other way?)
That way, in the third column, I could delete all the titles (since they only
go in the first column).
Michael

If I am correct in assuming that the data Title, Hyperlink and Description,
could be copied only once in Column A and would be in 3 rows, then you could
copy the 3 items and Paste Special - Transpose in Column B. That would
populate Columns B, C, and D with your data. To remove the word "Title:",
select the titles and do an Edit - Replace.
--
Sincerely, Michael Colvin

"gobonniego" wrote:

I've pasted the same info off a web page into three columns on a spreadsheet.
I neet to get a title, hyperlink and decription to go across the page, not
down. By pasting it three times, I just have to clean it up. (The titles
all say "Title:" in front of them.) But cleaning up is a real pain. Is it
possible to delete from the auto sort drop down box? (Or any other way?)
That way, in the third column, I could delete all the titles (since they only
go in the first column).

gobonniego

Sorry for not stating my question fully. Let me try again.

I am copying a vertical column of information off of a web site. I need to
put the info into a spreadsheet horizontally instead of vertically. The info
contains blank spaces, "---------", Titles, Annotations, and URLs. I am
pasting it into 3 columns labeled Title, URL and Annotation. I've gone down
a couple cells and pasted special in the first column (title). In the second
column, I've gone up a couple spaces (so the first hyperlink is in the cell
next to title) and done a regular paste (to preserve the hyperlink). In the
third column, I've gone down an appropriate number of cells and pasted
special. This way, at least one of the first rows with info is correct.
Strip the rows above that and everything should be peachy, right? No. My
task now is a) to remove all the garbage (blanks and "---------" cells); b)
remove everything non-title from the title column; c) remove everything
non-annotation from the Annotation column; d) to remove everything non-title
from the Title column; e) remove all the non-hyperlinks from the URL column
and finally; f) get everything to line up.

Should work, right? Doesn't without a whole bunch of work. I can't delete
rows; I need to delete cells. I've gone to Go To special, but I can't delete
cells there, only rows. I've written a macro to delete selected cells and
move the others up, but it can only be done on about 5 cells at a time (then
I reach the info that needs to be retained).

I've tried to edit this sheet vertically and horizontally, and each time it
is a major pain. I'm just wondering if anyone has any insight into a better
way to do this. And I hope I've explained it clearer this time.

Thanks,
Bonnie

"gobonniego" wrote:

I've pasted the same info off a web page into three columns on a spreadsheet.
I neet to get a title, hyperlink and decription to go across the page, not
down. By pasting it three times, I just have to clean it up. (The titles
all say "Title:" in front of them.) But cleaning up is a real pain. Is it
possible to delete from the auto sort drop down box? (Or any other way?)
That way, in the third column, I could delete all the titles (since they only
go in the first column).

gobonniego

http://www.glc.k12.ga.us/search/ Choose subject and grade on this page
(mathmatics, 4th grade).

On next screen, choose QCC Lesson Plans over on the right bar.

On next screen, click on result.

Voila! That's what I'm trying to convert.

Bonnie

PS. Yes, I have permission.

"gobonniego" wrote:

I've pasted the same info off a web page into three columns on a spreadsheet.
I neet to get a title, hyperlink and decription to go across the page, not
down. By pasting it three times, I just have to clean it up. (The titles
all say "Title:" in front of them.) But cleaning up is a real pain. Is it
possible to delete from the auto sort drop down box? (Or any other way?)
That way, in the third column, I could delete all the titles (since they only
go in the first column).

Michael

Hi gobonnie. I followed you're directions - web site, mathematics - 4th
grade, QCC Lesson Plans and then results. I don't see the URL's, only Title
and Annotation. When I went to QCC Web Resources, there were titles,
annotations and URLs. Am I doing something wrong?
--
Sincerely, Michael Colvin

"gobonniego" wrote:

I've pasted the same info off a web page into three columns on a spreadsheet.
I neet to get a title, hyperlink and decription to go across the page, not
down. By pasting it three times, I just have to clean it up. (The titles
all say "Title:" in front of them.) But cleaning up is a real pain. Is it
possible to delete from the auto sort drop down box? (Or any other way?)
That way, in the third column, I could delete all the titles (since they only
go in the first column).

gobonniego

Unfortunately, you've done it completely right! I think that's part of my
problem. The title is a hyperlink. I have to have it in one column, take
out the hyperlink, and just leave the title. In another column, I have to
keep the hyperlink but change it to take out the text. I think I'm basically
doomed to manual labor here.