PeterM

Default I have 32k names & addr to sort, I'm scared to do it

I have 32k lines to sort in various ways. The area in question is almost at
the end , and I'm scared to sort it. What is the best way to do it.Column J
has Audi and Volkswagen in it, I need to separate them by make first. Then
I think I'm ok. sorting gives me the heebie-jeebies ....... Many thanks in
advance.......Peter

Anne Troy

Hi, Peter. Just open the workbook and hit File--Save as and save it to a
different name BEFORE you start! Or email it to yourself. This is a quick
way to "create a backup you can't really mess with".
See my extreme Excel tutorial to learn some tips first, if you like.

http://www.officearticles.com/tutori...soft_excel.htm

*******************
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com
www.MyExpertsOnline.com

"PeterM" wrote in message
I have 32k lines to sort in various ways. The area in question is almost

at
the end , and I'm scared to sort it. What is the best way to do it.Column

has Audi and Volkswagen in it, I need to separate them by make first.

Then
I think I'm ok. sorting gives me the heebie-jeebies ....... Many thanks in
advance.......Peter

Tom Ogilvy

Sort it and if you don't like it, close it without saving.

If you do like it, but aren't sure, then do a file=Save As and give it a
new name. In either case, the original will be retained unperterbed.

For sorting, select the area you want to sort and do Data=Sort. Set the
parameters you want to use. If you select the full area you want to sort
prior to sorting, and don't let Excel expand it when it prompts, you should
have full control.

Tom Ogilvy