Instant000

Default Hyperlinking to Many Pictures

Hello.

I am using Microsoft Office 2000

I have a workbook that contains approximately 10 columns, 240 rows of
information.

Each row has to reference an external file, which will be a hyperlink to
an external picture.

I know how to manually create the hyperlinks, but I was only wondering
if there was possibly an easier way?

I was envisioning the possibility of dragging and dropping to create the
hyperlinks, or something easy like that.

Could anyone provide assistance?

No matter how complex, I'll attempt it, and no matter how simple,
I will not be ashamed to hear it.

Thank you.

---
I came, I saw, but I did not conquer.
Dave Peterson

Is it one dedicated column that has the reference to the external file?

If yes, then maybe you could just use a formula that creates a hyperlink:

=hyperlink(a1,"click me")

And drag down.

(And it'll depend on what you have in A1, too.)

maybe
=hyperlink("C:\my documents\my pictures\" & a1 & ".jpg", "Click me")

would be required.

--

Dave Peterson
Instant000

Dave:

thank you.

Now, I realize that I asked the question wrong.

What I had actually asked for help in doing many hyperlinks, but
the pictures that are to be linked are not sorted, or anything.

Sorry, after re-reading my post, I see that it looks like I was asking for
help on a batch operation.

But, you did just give an excellent suggestion.

I know how to get the hyperlink dialog box, and how to create the appropriate
hyperlink by typing in the appropriate information, with regards to the files
location, etc.

I was wondering if there was some cheat to being able to make the hyperlinks
in a speedier fashion.

The best thing that I can think of right now would be to convert the workbook
to html, and then edit the html in a generic editor like notepad or something,
using copy/paste and filling in the appropriate relative paths/filenames.

Sorry for wasting your time, Dave. I hope that you do not get the
impression that
I am lazy, because if this was my own table, I would have honkered down for a
little bit and done this already.

Thanks for your help, and could you please confirm that changing to .html, and
using an html editor, then changing back to .xls or whatever is the quickest
way
to get this done?

Thanks a lot.
---

Instant000 wrote:

Hello.

I am using Microsoft Office 2000

I have a workbook that contains approximately 10 columns, 240 rows of
information.

Each row has to reference an external file, which will be a hyperlink to
an external picture.

I know how to manually create the hyperlinks, but I was only wondering
if there was possibly an easier way?

I was envisioning the possibility of dragging and dropping to create the
hyperlinks, or something easy like that.

Could anyone provide assistance?

No matter how complex, I'll attempt it, and no matter how simple,
I will not be ashamed to hear it.

Thank you.

---
I came, I saw, but I did not conquer.

--

Dave Peterson

Dave Peterson

If I have my data already existing on a worksheet, I'd use the =hyperlink()
worksheet function.

I find it to be better behaved and easier to change.

But you could have a macro that used the contents of the cell and created a
hyperlink (like insert|hyperlink, or ctrl-k).

If you post what's in that cell, I'm sure you'll get lots of help.

Instant000 wrote:

[...]

Instant000

Thank you.

You are a great help."=hyperlink()" is what can help the
best.

I'm cooking with gas now.

Thanks.
---