TimelessTreasuresVP

Default Find Pictures and Hyperlink

I do a lot of stuff with pictures and hyperlinking them in excel. I have a
column labled picture ID number, which, for example, would have "1898" in a
cell and the filename of the picture would be "IMG_1898." I was wondering if
there is a way of writing a function or something in which the program
searches for the picture I want based on the number in that column, without
me having to find the picture myself and hyperlink it. It would make things
a lot faster for me if I could find a quicker way to do this.
Junior Member

Location: Ohio

Like this:

http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/lookuppics.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimelessTreasuresVP
I do a lot of stuff with pictures and hyperlinking them in excel. I have a
column labled picture ID number, which, for example, would have "1898" in a
cell and the filename of the picture would be "IMG_1898." I was wondering if
there is a way of writing a function or something in which the program
searches for the picture I want based on the number in that column, without
me having to find the picture myself and hyperlink it. It would make things
a lot faster for me if I could find a quicker way to do this.
__________________
Justin Labenne
www.jlxl.net
Dave Peterson

Do you mean you want to hyperlink to a picture file on a drive somewhere?

If yes, maybe you could use a helper cell with an =hyperlink() formula.

If 1898 was in A1.

=HYPERLINK("file:////c:/my documents/my pictures/img_"
& TEXT(A1,"0000") & ".jpg")

(all one cell)

--

Dave Peterson
TimelessTreasuresVP

I think that your suggestion would actually work with an older version of
windows, like 98, that uses the explorer window to open the file. I use xp
and it uses windows picture and fax viewer to open up my pictures, which
means that the hyperlink that your function creates will not work. Any other
suggestions?