cmannaccountant

Default default number format

I know how to set a default font for new excel speadsheets, but is there a
similar setup option for setting a default number format. I don't like the
default format being 2500, I need it to be 2,500.00.

Thanks for your help
Dave Peterson

You could change the Normal Style.

Format|Style|Choose Normal from the Dropdown
Click modify
Change the number format to what you like.

But styles travel with the workbook--not with excel.

So if you want that style for all new workbooks, create a new workbook with that
style. Save it as a template in your XLStart folder--and call it book.xlt.

Every workbook that you start by clicking on that New icon will inherit that
style from the template workbook.

But before you do this. Try entering a date. Dates are just numbers and excel
will treat them as such.

I wouldn't do it.

=========
An alternative is to just change the numberformat of the selection when you
want.

You could add a macro to your personal.xls workbook that looked like:

Option Explicit
Sub ChangeNumberFormat()
Selection.NumberFormat = "#,##0.00"
End Sub

Then do your data entry, select all the cells you want and run the macro.

--

Dave Peterson