Curt L.

Default Stop Excel from changing numbers to dates in CSV file

When opening a .CSV created from a third party software, one of the columns
is converted to date format. The numbers are imported in #/# format. and
Excel changes most of the numbers to 2-Jan, 3-Jan etc... This would not be
that big of an issue if I could simply set it back. Clearing format or
changing to text converts it to a 5 digit number.

The only way I have found to get it to work properly thus far is to open a
blank sheet and import data and setting the column to text prior to import.

I would like to find a way of opening the CSV file without all the extra
steps. Is there a setting that can be turned off?

Thanks in advance,
Ken Wright

You can change the file extension to .txt and then open in Excel, which will
trigger the import wizard, and you will then have the option of specifying
that that particular column be imported as text.

--
Regards
Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03