Gold Fish

Default Excel should be able to compute the MOD of large numbers.

Excel is not able to make computations using the MOD function of numbers as
large as 10 billion. So for example if we type in
=MOD(10000000000,10)
We get a result of
#NUM!
This is something I can do in my head, or my calculator, it is disappointing
that excel can't handle it. This is a suggestion and not a bug, because the
MOD function works fine, its just that someone didnt have the foresight to
allow it to work for large values. I am guessing that the solution to this
will only require changing a single line of code.

Harlan Grove

"Gold Fish" <Gold wrote...
Excel is not able to make computations using the MOD function of numbers as
large as 10 billion. So for example if we type in
=MOD(10000000000,10)
We get a result of
#NUM!

Old news.

This KB article implies by omission that this has been fixed in Excel 2003,
but if so there ain't gonna be a fix for older versions.

Frank Kabel

"Harlan Grove" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
"Gold Fish" <Gold wrote...
Excel is not able to make computations using the MOD function of

numbers as
large as 10 billion. So for example if we type in
=MOD(10000000000,10)
We get a result of
#NUM!

Old news.

This KB article implies by omission that this has been fixed in Excel

2003,
but if so there ain't gonna be a fix for older versions.

Hi Harlan
I guess they just forgot to update the KB article :-)
So Excel 2003 still has this bug (at least my German version). Not sure
what the max. allowed number in previous versions is so I couldn't test
if they at least extended the value range (but I doubt it)

Frank

Harlan Grove

"Frank Kabel" wrote...
I guess they just forgot to update the KB article :-)
So Excel 2003 still has this bug (at least my German version). Not sure
what the max. allowed number in previous versions is so I couldn't test
if they at least extended the value range (but I doubt it)

This proves that at least on Windows machines which by now all have
IEEE-compliant hardware FPUs that Excel's developers are too pig-headed to
use the hardware opcodes. See

http://google.com/groups?selm=eoRsb....wsrange r.com

Frank Kabel

I guess they just forgot to update the KB article :-)
So Excel 2003 still has this bug (at least my German version). Not

sure
what the max. allowed number in previous versions is so I couldn't

test
if they at least extended the value range (but I doubt it)

This proves that at least on Windows machines which by now all have
IEEE-compliant hardware FPUs that Excel's developers are too

pig-headed to
use the hardware opcodes. See

http://google.com/groups?selm=eoRsb....newsrange r.c
om

Hi Harlan
thanks for the link. And just to confirm. The 2^27 quotient limit is
still true for Excel 2003. So no change at all is respect to previous
Excel versions.

Frank