guilbj2

Default Preventing a Filter from affecting cell shading

I've shaded every other line on a spreadsheet to make it easier to read,
but I'm also using filters. When I filter results, the cell shading is
also filtered out, so instead of white line/gray line over and over I
get blocks of colour which defeat the purpose of the shading. Does
anyone know a way around this ?

--
guilbj2
guilbj2's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=6043

Ron de Bruin

Use this
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/banding.htm

--
Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl

"guilbj2" wrote in message

I've shaded every other line on a spreadsheet to make it easier to read,
but I'm also using filters. When I filter results, the cell shading is
also filtered out, so instead of white line/gray line over and over I
get blocks of colour which defeat the purpose of the shading. Does
anyone know a way around this ?

--
guilbj2
guilbj2's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=6043
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=375075

olasa

This is a beginning (Conditional Formatting)

Blue: =MOD(SUBTOTAL(3;B$6:B4);2)=0
Green: =MOD(SUBTOTAL(3;B$6:B4);2)=1

Ola Sandström

|Filename: Book4.zip |
|Download: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=3440 |

olasa
olasa's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=17760
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=375075

guilbj2

Thanks for the help guys, but I'm a total newbie to conditional
formatting... The range I need to get setup are D8:D34. Could you
elaborate on how/where I should enter these formulas ?

Just to be a royal pain, I'm trying to alternate between white and
light green as well if you know the correct colour codes.

--
guilbj2
guilbj2's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=6043
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=375075

olasa

Sure.
Here is video that shows how to use Conditional Formatting:
http://www.datapigtechnologies.com/f...rmatexcel.html

Also I've enclosed an update that should work just a little bit
better.

Hope it helps
Ola Sandström

|Filename: Book4.zip |
|Download: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=3442 |

olasa
olasa's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=17760
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=375075

guilbj2

Absolutely golden, thank you so much Ola !

--
guilbj2
guilbj2's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=6043
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=375075

Debra Dalgleish

You can do this if you add a helper column to the table:

Insert a blank column (column A in this example)
Add a heading, e.g. Count
In row 2, enter the following formula, where column B
contains no blank cells within the table range:
=SUBTOTAL(3,$B$2:$B2)
Copy the formula down to all rows of data
Select cell A1
Select all the cells on the worksheet (Ctrl + A)
Choose FormatConditional Formatting
From the first dropdown, choose Formula Is
In the formula box, type:
=AND($A1<"",MOD($A1,2)=0)
Click the Format button, and select a colour for the shaded rows
Click OK, click OK

Filter the table, the count will change, and alternate rows will be shaded.

guilbj2 wrote:
I've shaded every other line on a spreadsheet to make it easier to read,
but I'm also using filters. When I filter results, the cell shading is
also filtered out, so instead of white line/gray line over and over I
get blocks of colour which defeat the purpose of the shading. Does
anyone know a way around this ?

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

olasa

Glad it worked
Thanks for the feedback
Ola Sandström

--
olasa
olasa's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=17760
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=375075

Ron de Bruin

After reading Debra's reply I see that I give you a wrong answer.
You say Filter and not Sort

--
Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl