Thrava

Default SELECTION()

Hello everyone.

I cam accross the function SELECTION(), while reading the
web page "Daily dose of Excel" http://www.dicks-
blog.com/archives/category/worksheet-functions/

The section regarding calculating with the selected range.
there, you define the name Sel_Range with the formula:
=MID(CELL("address",($A$1,SELECTION())),6,255.....

I tried to find more information on the function SELECTION
(), but there's nothing listed in excel help. typing the
function in a cell gives an error, but typing the formula
in the define name seems to take the formula.

Any idea what this SELECTION() is/ does?

Thanks

Jason Morin

I believe it's an old XLM function/macro. XLM was replaced
by VBA years ago, but you can still call XLM commands in
XL through defined names and also through VBA. I'd
recommend searching through the old excel NG google
archives on the key word "XLM" to learn mo

http://www.google.com/advanced_group_search?hl=en

Use *excel* as your NG. Also, you can download the XLM
help file from Microsoft's website:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q143466/

HTH
Jason