RichHoughton

Default Convert financial week into corresponding month

Hi

Probably a really easy one, but has me scratching my head. I have a column
of numbers (week numbers) for the new financial year. What i would like to
do is put in some formula or code or something in the adjoining cell that
picks up the week number in the first cell and churns out the month, i.e. if
1 was in cell A1, April would be found in B1. It's not quite as easy as
putting 4 weeks per month as some months are longer than others, but i still
dunno. Needs to work on the date of the weeks i think.

Any help??

Many thanks

Rich
Ron Rosenfeld

On Mon, 23 May 2005 07:52:21 -0700, RichHoughton
wrote:

Hi

Probably a really easy one, but has me scratching my head. I have a column
of numbers (week numbers) for the new financial year. What i would like to
do is put in some formula or code or something in the adjoining cell that
picks up the week number in the first cell and churns out the month, i.e. if
1 was in cell A1, April would be found in B1. It's not quite as easy as
putting 4 weeks per month as some months are longer than others, but i still
dunno. Needs to work on the date of the weeks i think.

Any help??

Many thanks

Rich

Two questions:

1. How do you define your financial week? (i.e. when does financial week 1
start for any given year?

2. What do you want to show if the week in question spans two months?

In general, one could compute a date by computing Week 1; Day 1 and then adding
(weeknum-1) * 7 to that date. But since there are not exactly 52*7 days in a
year, we need to know your convention for treating the extra days.

There are various methods used, and sometimes there will be a week 53 or a week
1 which is less than seven days long.

--ron
Barb R.

Could you provide the Month and WW correlation?

WW1-4 April
5-8 May
9-13 June

Or whatever it is. This could be done with a lookup chart or an equation.

"RichHoughton" wrote:

Hi

Probably a really easy one, but has me scratching my head. I have a column
of numbers (week numbers) for the new financial year. What i would like to
do is put in some formula or code or something in the adjoining cell that
picks up the week number in the first cell and churns out the month, i.e. if
1 was in cell A1, April would be found in B1. It's not quite as easy as
putting 4 weeks per month as some months are longer than others, but i still
dunno. Needs to work on the date of the weeks i think.

Any help??

Many thanks

Rich

RichHoughton

Financial year = April - March

I would therefore have Financial Week 1 being the week that houses April
1st. This needs to be a week day, i.e. if April 1st falls on a Saturday,
Financial Week will start from the following Monday. Clear as mud i know!!

I'm beginning to think a lookup table would be the easiest option. Yes
there would be instances of a 53 Financial week year. 2004/2005 was for
instance.

It would be cooler if an equation could do this.

Thanks all for your help so far.

Rich

"RichHoughton" wrote:

Hi

Probably a really easy one, but has me scratching my head. I have a column
of numbers (week numbers) for the new financial year. What i would like to
do is put in some formula or code or something in the adjoining cell that
picks up the week number in the first cell and churns out the month, i.e. if
1 was in cell A1, April would be found in B1. It's not quite as easy as
putting 4 weeks per month as some months are longer than others, but i still
dunno. Needs to work on the date of the weeks i think.

Any help??

Many thanks

Rich

swatsp0p

This may work for you:

Insert a new column A and in A1, enter April 3, 2005.
In A2 enter =A1+7 and copy down for 52 weeks
In B1 enter: =IF(WEEKNUM(A1,1)-130,WEEKNUM(A1,1)-13,WEEKNUM(A1,1)+39)
(format as General)
In C1 enter =DATE(YEAR(A1),MONTH(A1),DAY(A1)) (format as Custom, mmmm)

copy B1:C1 down for the 52 weeks.

Hide column A if desired.

Column B is your week number and column C is the month name

NOTE: The weeknumber assumes your week begins on Sunday and week #1 began
Jan 2, 2005. To begin on Monday, WEEKNUM(A1,2) will do that. If Week 1 began
Dec. 26 or 27, 2004, adjust the -14 to -13 and the +39 to +40

HTH

--
The older I get, the better I used to be.

"RichHoughton" wrote:

Hi

Probably a really easy one, but has me scratching my head. I have a column
of numbers (week numbers) for the new financial year. What i would like to
do is put in some formula or code or something in the adjoining cell that
picks up the week number in the first cell and churns out the month, i.e. if
1 was in cell A1, April would be found in B1. It's not quite as easy as
putting 4 weeks per month as some months are longer than others, but i still
dunno. Needs to work on the date of the weeks i think.

Any help??

Many thanks

Rich

Barb R.

Try this!

A1 = YEAR B1 = 2005
A2 =
IF(WEEKDAY(DATE(B1,4,1),1)=7,DATE(B1,4,1)+1,DATE(B 1,4,1)-WEEKDAY(DATE(B1,4,1),1)+1)

B2 = 1
A3 = A2+7 B3 = B2+1

And so on.