Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default No entry in B1 unless A1 has a date AND it is earlier

Hello all
Wonder if this is possible. I realise Data Validation caters for
restriction of dates but how do I stop any entry being made in B1
unless first there is an entry in A1?

Many thnks

ML
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I did this in xl2003:

With B1 the active cell:
Data|Validation
Settings tab
Custom
Formula: =AND(ISNUMBER(A1),ISNUMBER(B1),A1<B1)
and made sure that "Ignore Blank" is not checked.

Be aware that this won't help if A1 is changed after the entry is made in B1.

I'd add a warning message in C1(?) that showed up if the entries were not
correct--big, red, letters.

(In fact, I wouldn't use data|validation. I'd just use that helper cell with
the warning message.)

--
Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On 06/19/2011 05:07, Mr X Z wrote:

Hello all
Wonder if this is possible. I realise Data Validation caters for
restriction of dates but how do I stop any entry being made in B1
unless first there is an entry in A1?

Many thnks

ML

--
Dave Peterson

Thanks Dave - I'll give it a try (I am using Xl2003).
If you have a spare mo please have a look at the discussion here -

http://groups.google.com/group/micro...99377d3f6505f#

ML