Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Duplicate Entries

Hi, I've searched previous posts as I know I saw the answer but can't find
it now and forgot to print it last time.

I'm inputting a number of part numbers (600 of them) in column A and need to
identify duplicates
as I enter them (on the fly).
Conditional formatting?

What I'd like is if I input a previously entered part number, any and all
occurrences of previous entries
of that part number to highlight so I stop double entries.

Please, not a macro as I'm not into macros yet.

I'm using Excel 2010 and also need the solution to also work on my other
machine using the 2007 version.

TIA.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Mario explained :
Hi, I've searched previous posts as I know I saw the answer but can't find it
now and forgot to print it last time.

I'm inputting a number of part numbers (600 of them) in column A and need to
identify duplicates
as I enter them (on the fly).
Conditional formatting?

What I'd like is if I input a previously entered part number, any and all
occurrences of previous entries
of that part number to highlight so I stop double entries.

Please, not a macro as I'm not into macros yet.

I'm using Excel 2010 and also need the solution to also work on my other
machine using the 2007 version.

TIA.

Step1: Select ColumnA.
Step2: Open the CF dialog and enter the following formula:
=COUNTIF($A:$A,$A1)1
Step3: Set formatting to use shading OR bold, red font

This will flag the dupe AND its original entry.

--
Garry

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Duplicate Entries-Thanks

"GS" wrote in message
Mario explained :
[...]

You are amazing, thank you very much Gary, very fast reply!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

on 2/25/2011, Mario supposed :
"GS" wrote in message
Mario explained :
[...]