Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Duplicate entries

I'm trying to compare to columns to see if they have any of the same entries
but the data is not totally exact in both columns.

For example I have in column A a value of "211000" and in column B I have a
value of "211000-1". How can I have it compare the two and only look at the
first 6 characters of column B? I want to put a "1" in next to the column B
value to show that it exists in column A. Now Column A has 538 entries in it
and Column B has 24 in it. So I want it to search the entire listing in
column A and have it put a "1" next to the value in column B to show that it
does exist in column A. Hope this all makes sense. :)
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

There's two ways you can do this.
1) Select column A then select Find in the Edit menu. Type in the first 6
digits of a number in column B and click the Find Next button. The first
cell with a matching number in column A will be highlighted. If a match is
found, close the Find dialogue box and edit the number in column B. If no
match is found, a message is displayed. Close the message and change the
'Find' value to next column B number to be checked.

2) Select column A then select Filter Auto Filter in the Data menu. This
puts a filter button (down-arrow) at the top of the column which, when
clicked, lists the contents of the column in numerical and alphabetical order
in a drop-down box which can be scrolled. This makes it easy to manually
search for a match of the numbers in column B. When you click on another cell
(e.g. to edit a matching number in column B), the drop-down box will close.
So you'll have to click the filter button again to search for the next number.

"Secret Squirrel" wrote:

I'm trying to compare to columns to see if they have any of the same entries
but the data is not totally exact in both columns.

For example I have in column A a value of "211000" and in column B I have a
value of "211000-1". How can I have it compare the two and only look at the
first 6 characters of column B? I want to put a "1" in next to the column B
value to show that it exists in column A. Now Column A has 538 entries in it
and Column B has 24 in it. So I want it to search the entire listing in
column A and have it put a "1" next to the value in column B to show that it
does exist in column A. Hope this all makes sense. :)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I put a list in column A from A1 to A21 containing various numbers, I Then
had a list in column B from B1 to B7 with some cells containing a number in
column A with extra digits after, for example I had 111112 in column A so I
entered 111112-568 in B1, I also entered some numbers that didn't appear
in column A, just for checking.

In C1 I entered;
=IF(COUNTIF($A$1:$A$21,(LEFT(B1,6))),1,"")

Then copy this formula down the length of your column B list, if the first 6
digits of the number in column B appear in column A then a '1' will be
displayed in column C, if not nothing will be displayed in column C.