lisa

Default increase cell 255 limit in excel2000 help or way round it?

hi i download in csv format a quetionaire from the web and i then have to
analysise and format the quatative and qualitative data from it . However i
am having trouble as the cell limit in excell 2000 is only 255 and some of
the qualitative data is more than this. Any help or tips or better routes to
take would really help.

from a self taught intermediate excel user
Dave Peterson

The cell limit in xl2k is 32767.

I put:
=REPT("asdfas",500)
(3000 characters)
in A1:E1

I saved this file as book1.csv (formulas were lost).

I closed the file and reopened it. I put =len(a1) in B1 and got 3000 back.

===
I'd use my favorite text editor to see what the data really looks like
(notepad/wordpad???).

Maybe the problem isn't excel.

--

Dave Peterson
TomHinkle

I've seen this error... has to do with bulk copying..

If you type (or as Dave did, manually put data in a cell) you have a HUGE
limit, but if you try to copy an entire worksheet to another (like by
clicking the box on top of row 1 and then copy, move to another worksheet and
paste, it truncates all text at 255).

I don't know how you are loading your data in but probably related to the
copy issue. That is also a known and documented bug/'feature' on the
knowledge base

lisa wrote:

hi i download in csv format a quetionaire from the web and i then have to
analysise and format the quatative and qualitative data from it . However i
am having trouble as the cell limit in excell 2000 is only 255 and some of
the qualitative data is more than this. Any help or tips or better routes to
take would really help.

from a self taught intermediate excel user

--

Dave Peterson

Dave Peterson

I've never seen the truncation problem when you copy the cells (ctrl-a, ctrl-c,
ctrl-v type copy|paste), but I have seen that truncation problem when you copy
the whole worksheet.

Either by rightclicking on the worksheet tab and then choosing move or copy
(checking copy checkbox) or by Edit|Move or copy Sheet.

You even get a warning when you do it that way.

I bet that's where you've experienced it.

The common suggestion to workaround this is to copy the sheet (and let
truncation occur), then go back and copy the cells and paste the cells to
"repopulate" them correctly.