Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excel 2010

Hi I have excel 2003 Professional. THis summer we are getting Microsoft 2010
and I am concerned regarding all the add in and macros and reports I have
created. Will I be able to transfer all my macros, add ins and files to
excel 2010.
thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I found with 2007 and 2003 that I finished up with 2 "Personal" files which
made life confusing when I wanted to Unhide the one that applied to the Excel
version I was using. I needed to keep both versions because I had contacts
who had one or the other version. I also found that 2003 no longer opened a
blank file automatically, presumably for the same reason.

"Wanna Learn" wrote:

Hi I have excel 2003 Professional. THis summer we are getting Microsoft 2010
and I am concerned regarding all the add in and macros and reports I have
created. Will I be able to transfer all my macros, add ins and files to
excel 2010.
thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Macros live in workbooks. So you shouldn't have any trouble transferring the
macros to the new version of excel.

But the question that remains will be "do your macros run as intended in xl2010?".

Without knowing anything about your macros, I'm gonna guess that you won't have
any significant problem.

But the only way you'll know for sure is to test them using xl2010.

Maybe you can ask your boss to be the first person to get xl2010 (on a separate
pc) or installed on a virtual pc or even installed on the same pc (keeping
xl2003 alive and kicking).

Then you'll be able to test all the functions of not just your macros, but the
other workbooks you (and your co-workers) rely on.

If you have trouble, you may be able to ease the pain for others by fixing the
macro or talking to the developers of the other workbooks so that they can be
working when the rest of your team cuts over.

If I were your boss, I don't think I'd want to go into a situation with my eyes
closed where mission-critical tools are broken.

On 05/14/2010 06:41, Wanna Learn wrote:
Hi I have excel 2003 Professional. THis summer we are getting Microsoft 2010
and I am concerned regarding all the add in and macros and reports I have
created. Will I be able to transfer all my macros, add ins and files to
excel 2010.
thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

ps. A couple of the biggest changes in xl2003 to xl2007:

Application.filesearch was killed.

Ron de Bruin shares some alternatives he

http://www.rondebruin.nl/fso.htm
and
http://www.rondebruin.nl/copy3.htm

And procedures with objects/Charts may not work like in xl2003.