Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Is there a way to force out other editors when Excel 2003 is inautomation mode?

Hi all,

I am using Windows scheduler to automate Excel tasks, every morning
4am...

Basically, my current implementation is:

1. Auto-open Excel sheet;
2. Run some macro, download some data;
3. Auto-save and close.

However, the automation fails when some other people including myself
are editing the Excel sheets ...

Is there a way to force out other editors when opening the sheet in
automation mode?

Thanks a lot!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I don't think so.

Maybe you can check to see if your procedure opened the file successfully in
read/write mode and continue -- or use application.ontime to try in a few
minutes.

Chip Pearson's site explains it:
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/OnTime.aspx

--

Dave Peterson
Senior Member

Location: Hyderabad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Peterson View Post

LunaMoon wrote:

Hi all,

I am using Windows scheduler to automate Excel tasks, every morning
4am...

Basically, my current implementation is:

1. Auto-open Excel sheet;
2. Run some macro, download some data;
3. Auto-save and close.

However, the automation fails when some other people including myself
are editing the Excel sheets ...

Is there a way to force out other editors when opening the sheet in
automation mode?

Thanks a lot!

--

Dave Peterson
Include email notifications/outlook calendar notification at the beginning and end of excution of macro. So the users will educate about the process.
__________________
Thanks
Bala
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

LunaMoon wrote:

Hi all,

I am using Windows scheduler to automate Excel tasks, every morning
4am...

Basically, my current implementation is:

1. Auto-open Excel sheet;
2. Run some macro, download some data;
3. Auto-save and close.

However, the automation fails when some other people including myself
are editing the Excel sheets ...

Is there a way to force out other editors when opening the sheet in
automation mode?

Thanks a lot!

--

Dave Peterson

This doesn't matter.

No matter what I need to force out the other editors...

They are my colleagues and they sometimes forget about closing out of
the files before they leave the office...

If I don't force them out, there will be always a "read/write
notification" window popping up,

asking "yes/no",

then the whole automation procedure stuck there, defeating the purpose
of automation.

Any more thoughts?

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

So you would want to force the user to close the file -- even though you don't
know if the current changes should be saved or discarded?

That sounds like a disaster for you, your co-worker, and your boss -- who's
going to be upset that something got saved that shouldn't have -- or 8 hours of
work was discarded and shouldn't have been.

I think that this is a training issue.

But if you look at Chip's site to see how to close a workbook after a given time
of inactivity.

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/TimedClose.htm

(I can't say how much I think that this is a bad idea!)