Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default adding percentages to cells

I have no idea how to do this or if it's possible but I've been at this for
hours and am at a loss. I have 15,000 cells in one column that all have to
have different percentage mark ups. For instance the entire column is a
"wholesale" price. Certain items need to be marked up 50% others 40% and
others 75%. All groups are together in the colum so for instance cells 1-280
need to be marked up 50%, cells 281-900 need to be marked up 40%, and cells
901-3400 need to be marked up 75% and so on. How can I highlight the cells
and do a simple mark up without having to get a calculator out and
calculating what $2 plus 50% mark up is or $15.75 plus 40% mark up is
manually?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

Do it in several steps and for the first markup of 50% try this. Put 1.5 in
a cell and copy it. Select rows 1 to 208 and right click them, click 'paste
Special' select 'Multiply' and then OK.

Repeat for other markups
--
Mike

question.

"autiemomtoo" wrote:

I have no idea how to do this or if it's possible but I've been at this for
hours and am at a loss. I have 15,000 cells in one column that all have to
have different percentage mark ups. For instance the entire column is a
"wholesale" price. Certain items need to be marked up 50% others 40% and
others 75%. All groups are together in the colum so for instance cells 1-280
need to be marked up 50%, cells 281-900 need to be marked up 40%, and cells
901-3400 need to be marked up 75% and so on. How can I highlight the cells
and do a simple mark up without having to get a calculator out and
calculating what $2 plus 50% mark up is or $15.75 plus 40% mark up is
manually?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Ok maybe I kind of didn't make it clear, sorry. for instance cells 1-208
have all different numbers 2, 15.25, 18., 5, 3, 3.75, 6, 19.99, 22.25, 2.5,
2.75) each number represents a price and each of these prices have to be
marked up by let's say 40%. Not all of the cells are $2.00. the 208 cells
have 208 different prices that need to be marked up 40%. Then cells 209-500
in that colum have all different prices that need to be marked up 75%. So
whatever is in that cell needs to be "plus" whatever percent i need it to be.
I have no idea how to highlight 208 cells of all different prices and make
excel say "add 40%".

"autiemomtoo" wrote:

I have no idea how to do this or if it's possible but I've been at this for
hours and am at a loss. I have 15,000 cells in one column that all have to
have different percentage mark ups. For instance the entire column is a
"wholesale" price. Certain items need to be marked up 50% others 40% and
others 75%. All groups are together in the colum so for instance cells 1-280
need to be marked up 50%, cells 281-900 need to be marked up 40%, and cells
901-3400 need to be marked up 75% and so on. How can I highlight the cells
and do a simple mark up without having to get a calculator out and
calculating what $2 plus 50% mark up is or $15.75 plus 40% mark up is
manually?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

The answer is the same. say we have these values in a1 to a5

2
3
4.8
8.2
5

I put 1.4 in another cell and copy it. Select these numbers and right
click|Paste special|Multiply Ok, the numbers become

2.8
4.2
6.72
11.48
7

i,e all have been marked up by 40%
--
Mike

question.

"autiemomtoo" wrote:

I have no idea how to do this or if it's possible but I've been at this for
hours and am at a loss. I have 15,000 cells in one column that all have to
have different percentage mark ups. For instance the entire column is a
"wholesale" price. Certain items need to be marked up 50% others 40% and
others 75%. All groups are together in the colum so for instance cells 1-280
need to be marked up 50%, cells 281-900 need to be marked up 40%, and cells
901-3400 need to be marked up 75% and so on. How can I highlight the cells
and do a simple mark up without having to get a calculator out and
calculating what $2 plus 50% mark up is or $15.75 plus 40% mark up is
manually?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"autiemomtoo" wrote:
if it is supposed to be 100% mark up or 110% mark
up what is it multiplied by? would 110% be 2.1?

Right. If it is easier for you, you can write the formula =1+110% in the
helper cell instead of the constant 2.1. Then you edit the percentage figure
directly.

Note: For mark-down, you would enter the formula =1-10%, for example.