Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default compare words

Hi All,

I have a question about one formula. I have text "High" in column A1 and
text "Medium" in column B1. In column C1 i would like to see "high". How to
do it?
And what about if i have in A1 "high" and in B1 - "low" and i would like to
have "medium" as a result in C1?

Thank you in advance
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
ck ck is offline

in your first example, to see "high" in column C1, you need to put =A1 in
cell C1. However, this will also shows "high" in your 2nd scenario. So you
need to determine why in the first example, you need a "high" and in the
second scenario, it should be "medium" and set the required formula. Maybe a
IF statement will be useful.

"Postman" wrote:

Hi All,

I have a question about one formula. I have text "High" in column A1 and
text "Medium" in column B1. In column C1 i would like to see "high". How to
do it?
And what about if i have in A1 "high" and in B1 - "low" and i would like to
have "medium" as a result in C1?

Thank you in advance

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
ck ck is offline

In C1, paste this

=IF(SUMPRODUCT(--(A1="High"),--(B1="Medium")),"High","Medium")

What it does is that if A1=high and B1=medium, C1 will be high. Any other
combination will result in C1 being medium. So if you have more than these 2
combination, you need to set more criteria to make it more robust.

Click yes below if it works

"Postman" wrote:

Hi All,

I have a question about one formula. I have text "High" in column A1 and
text "Medium" in column B1. In column C1 i would like to see "high". How to
do it?
And what about if i have in A1 "high" and in B1 - "low" and i would like to
have "medium" as a result in C1?

Thank you in advance

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

In A1 i wrote - High
In B1 i wrote - Medium
In C1 i wrote - =if(SUMPRODUCT(--(A1="High"),--(B1="Medium")),"High","Medium")

and it gives me error in this section "(--(A1="High")," (in the comma sign).

"Postman" wrote:

Hi All,

I have a question about one formula. I have text "High" in column A1 and
text "Medium" in column B1. In column C1 i would like to see "high". How to
do it?
And what about if i have in A1 "high" and in B1 - "low" and i would like to
have "medium" as a result in C1?

Thank you in advance

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
ck ck is offline

I copied your formula into C1 and it is fine. Initially it shows a result of
medium but that was because i key in high into A1 and medium into B1 instead
of High and Medium.

Can you go to the tab 'formula / evaluate formula' and click the button
evaluate and go through the evaluation process? It might throw up what
happens.

"Postman" wrote:

Hi All,

I have a question about one formula. I have text "High" in column A1 and
text "Medium" in column B1. In column C1 i would like to see "high". How to
do it?
And what about if i have in A1 "high" and in B1 - "low" and i would like to
have "medium" as a result in C1?

Thank you in advance

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
ck ck is offline

Can you help me to check this? the " sign that you see should not be this
sign ' enter twice. It should be enter once on this "