Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Count specific text only if adjacent cell is blank?

Hi all,
I have a spreadsheet with several different employee initials in one cell
and sometimes assistant name in the next cell if someone helped them on a
project. I want to count the cells of the employee BP only if the cell next
to it is blank and they managed the project themselves. Then I want to go to
a different totals cell and put in a formula to count employee RS who managed
the project alone... etc. etc.
I tried using IFBLANK but I am a bit of a novice can't quite figure this
out! Any help would be appreciated!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi

With Employee initials in column A, assistants in column B, and BP (the
employee to calculate total for) in C2 insert this formula in D2:

=SUMPRODUCT(--($A$2:$A$100=C2),--($B$2:$B$100=""))

Regards,
Per

"rumtumtigger" skrev i meddelelsen
Hi all,
I have a spreadsheet with several different employee initials in one cell
and sometimes assistant name in the next cell if someone helped them on a
project. I want to count the cells of the employee BP only if the cell
next
to it is blank and they managed the project themselves. Then I want to go
a different totals cell and put in a formula to count employee RS who
managed
the project alone... etc. etc.
I tried using IFBLANK but I am a bit of a novice can't quite figure this
out! Any help would be appreciated!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

What you are doing is a countif with multiple criteria. Since you did not
gieve any cell references I will assume A2:B100

=sumproduct(--(A2:A100 = "BD"), --(B2:B100 = "")

Check out this link on sumproduct...
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"rumtumtigger" wrote:

Hi all,
I have a spreadsheet with several different employee initials in one cell
and sometimes assistant name in the next cell if someone helped them on a
project. I want to count the cells of the employee BP only if the cell next
to it is blank and they managed the project themselves. Then I want to go to
a different totals cell and put in a formula to count employee RS who managed
the project alone... etc. etc.
I tried using IFBLANK but I am a bit of a novice can't quite figure this
out! Any help would be appreciated!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

=SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A100="RS")*(B1:B100=""))

or something similar
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu201001