Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jim Thomlinson Jim Thomlinson is offline

Default Count specific text only if adjacent cell is blank?

What you are doing is a countif with multiple criteria. Since you did not
gieve any cell references I will assume A2:B100

=sumproduct(--(A2:A100 = "BD"), --(B2:B100 = "")

Check out this link on sumproduct...
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"rumtumtigger" wrote:

Hi all,
I have a spreadsheet with several different employee initials in one cell
and sometimes assistant name in the next cell if someone helped them on a
project. I want to count the cells of the employee BP only if the cell next
to it is blank and they managed the project themselves. Then I want to go to
a different totals cell and put in a formula to count employee RS who managed
the project alone... etc. etc.
I tried using IFBLANK but I am a bit of a novice can't quite figure this
out! Any help would be appreciated!