Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Column width format

When I copy tables into Excel the columns are not adjusted to fit the
contents. I select the the table and double click to adjust the width but it
only adjusts one column even though the table is selected. Is there a way
that I can just double click one time and it does the whole table?

Thanks in advance.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Falcios

If you just copy a table, the column widths are not brought across. To
bring the column widths, you must copy the entire columns.

The other option is:

(1) Copy the table across as you are currently doing

(2) Then go back to the original spreadsheet and highlight the columns the
table occupies, copy, switch to the destination spreadsheet, and do a Paste
Special, Formats only

This will adjust the column widths to be the same as the original
spreadsheet without pasting everything in the columns from the original
spreadsheet.

To answer the second part of your question about why only one column changes
width when you highlight the table, the answer is similar to above. To
change the widths of multiple columns at once, you need to have the entire
column highlighted.

Just in case you don't know the easy way to do this, let's say you want to
highlight columns C to E, you just click and hold on the "C" at the top of
column C and drag across until the three columns from C to E are highlighted.
Then when you adjust the column width of one column, it affects all three
columns. Another trick is to do a "best fit" just double click on the
vertical line between the column headings (e.g. the line between the "C" and
"D" at the top of these column).

Any further questions, let us know.

David

"falcios" wrote:

When I copy tables into Excel the columns are not adjusted to fit the
contents. I select the the table and double click to adjust the width but it
only adjusts one column even though the table is selected. Is there a way
that I can just double click one time and it does the whole table?

Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

IN EXCEL 2007.

Once you have pasted the table into the new Workbook in order to adjust all
the columns take the following action:-

- make sure the Workbook is maximized

- click in the cell to the left of the letter A and above the number 1
towards the top left hand corner of your Worksheet

- this will highlight the whole Worksheet

- then select the line between the A and B colum header descriptions and
double click

All of the columns will now be shown in full.

Thanks.