Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Colour coding data

Hi- I would like to be able to automatically colour code percentages into
red, amber, green depending on the number. I know this can be done but cannot
figure out how! Any help appreciated

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

See Conditional Formatting in Excel Help.
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200909

"Michelle" wrote:

Hi- I would like to be able to automatically colour code percentages into
red, amber, green depending on the number. I know this can be done but cannot
figure out how! Any help appreciated

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Michelle, this is very tricky so I have done things by a worked example
for you.

If you follow this through you should be able to see what is happening and
then apply it to your own situation.

1. I have put up 2 files for you at:-

www.Pierrefondes.com

They will be items number 31 and 32 on my home page (towards the top).

2. One of them is an EXCEL 2007 file called Michelle.xlsx.

In this you will find that I have highlighted the range of cells L 1 to L100
inclusive in yellow.

This is the range of cells that I am going to format in the way that you
want.

3. The first thing that you have to do is to highlight the range of cells
you want to format (in my example L 1 to L 100 inclusive).

4. Then:-

Home / Conditional Formatting / New Rule

New Formatting Rule pane should launch.

5. In here set the cells EXACTLY as I have put them in the WORD document
shown on my website.

This will be either item number 31 or 32 on my home page (towards the top).

Dont forget to hit OK.

6. Format your chosen set of cells (eg L 1 to L 100) as follows:-

- highlight the range

- single right hand click / select Format Cells / Number tab / select
Number on the left hand side and hit OK.

Save file at this point if required.

7. Now enter numbers 1 to 100 in your chosen range (L 1 to L 100 in my
example) and you will see:-

1 to 30 inc are red

31 to 69 inc are orange

70 to 100 inc are green