Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Division and formatting excel question

I am doing a spread sheet right now and I am not having good luck with a
certain function I need to do. What it is, I need a number, say 55,104
divided by 1,440 which equals 38.266666 . I would like it to only display
38.26 in the cell. I did a format cell and show 2 decimal places but it
doesnt do it.

Then I need to add up the results of 5 cells of the same kind as previously
mentioned. When I try to add them up now it just shows 0.00 using the sum
function? I dont get what I need to do different.

What it is, is a production sheet, we produced 55104 gallons of product in a
day, the "1440" is total number of minutes in a day. What I am trying to show
is how many gallons were produced per minute on average through the day. we
produce 5 different products so I need to show the total number of gallons of
all 5 products produced per minute.

Please help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I'm not sure this will help - but it seems as if the values were typed as TEXT.
Try thus:
Select the range of values 'Data" 'Text to Columns' 'Finish'
Micky