Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Incrementing values

I am creating a spreadsheet to import values into my accounting software.
The first row is the product name (actually a reference to another worksheet
where the product name was developed by referencing various cells). The next
4 rows are descriptive info and then the sequence starts again. I want to
increment just the row with the product names while leaving the the next 4
rows unchanged. Is there a way to do this? I tried filtering the worksheet
so just the rows with the product names show but the incrementing is taking
place as if all rows were visible, so rather than increment as follows: 1, 2,
3, I get: 1, 5, 10 etc. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CLR CLR is offline

With your data in column B, use the helper column A by doing the following.
1- enter 1 in row with your first product name
2- enter 2 in the row with your second product name
3-highlight the cells with the 1 all the way down to where the next cell
would be a 3
4-then double click the little black square in the lower right hand corner
of the highlighted area........the spacing of the 1 and 2 will autofill down
as far as you have data in column B

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"LeLe" wrote in message
I am creating a spreadsheet to import values into my accounting software.
The first row is the product name (actually a reference to another
worksheet
where the product name was developed by referencing various cells). The
next
4 rows are descriptive info and then the sequence starts again. I want to
increment just the row with the product names while leaving the the next 4
rows unchanged. Is there a way to do this? I tried filtering the
worksheet
so just the rows with the product names show but the incrementing is
taking
place as if all rows were visible, so rather than increment as follows: 1,
2,
3, I get: 1, 5, 10 etc. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Put this formula next to your first product name and copy it down...

=IF(MOD(ROW(A1)-1,4)=0,(ROW(A1)+3)/4,"")

If you add more products, just grab the last cell with the above formula and
drag it down some more.

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)