Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How to change format protection default to unlocked?

Apparently, by default, all cells in a worksheet are locked (Format Cells
Protection). Consequently, when I set worksheet protection (Tools

Protection Protect Sheet Password), all cells are protected.

I want to protect just 4 cells. So I think I want the default for all cells
to be unlocked. Then I would lock the 4 cells and set worksheet protection.

Of course, I could manually select every cell in the worksheet (A1:IV65536)
and change the Protection format to unlock. But besides being a "pain", it
appears to increase the worksheet size "unnecessarily".

Is there a better way to change the default cell protection to unlocked?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Just Press Cntrl+A and now all of the cells in the Activesheet will be
selected then Do Right ClickFormat CellsProtectionUncheck the Locked
Check box and give ok.

Now hold Cntrl and take your mouse and click the cells which needs to be
Locked. After selection do Right ClickFormat CellsProtectioncheck the
Locked Check box and give ok.

Now press Alt+T+P+P and give your desired password twice and give ok.

--------------------
(Ms-Exl-Learner)
--------------------

"Joe User" wrote:

Apparently, by default, all cells in a worksheet are locked (Format Cells
Protection). Consequently, when I set worksheet protection (Tools

Protection Protect Sheet Password), all cells are protected.

I want to protect just 4 cells. So I think I want the default for all cells
to be unlocked. Then I would lock the 4 cells and set worksheet protection.

Of course, I could manually select every cell in the worksheet (A1:IV65536)
and change the Protection format to unlock. But besides being a "pain", it
appears to increase the worksheet size "unnecessarily".

Is there a better way to change the default cell protection to unlocked?

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You can select all cells on a sheet using Ctrl + a(twice in Excel 2003)

Or clicking on the intesection button left of A and above 1

If you go to ToolsCustomizeCommandsFormat and scroll down you will find a
padlock icon.

Move it to your Toolbar.

After selecting all cells simply click on the padlock.

It toggles "locked" off/on.

To have the default for each sheet to be unlocked you would need to create a
new default Template for new workbooks/worksheets.

If you want that see this message.

http://groups.google.com/group/micro...+author:dibben

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP