Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
RSE RSE is offline

Default Why is AutoSum iinoperable w/protection when column is unlocked?

I have a spreadsheet with certain cells containing formulas. I want to lock
those cells and have them skipped over by the user. There are other fields
where data MUST be entered. There is also a blank column where the user can
copy cells and do their own calculations. This entire column is unlocked.
However, as soon as I protection the sheet, stating that they cannot access
locked cells, but can select and format unlocked cells, AUTOSUM is shaded out
and does not work!. If I turn off the protection, it works again. HELP!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

While I agree it is odd that XL doesn't give you the button option, do note
that the keyboard shortcut still works (Alt plus the +/= key)

If you really want a button, you could create this simple macro:

Sub MyAutoSum()
'Performs the keyboard shortcut of AutoSum
Application.SendKeys "%="
End Sub

and then assign it to a custom button on your toolbar.

--
Best Regards,

Luke M

"RSE" wrote:

I have a spreadsheet with certain cells containing formulas. I want to lock
those cells and have them skipped over by the user. There are other fields
where data MUST be entered. There is also a blank column where the user can
copy cells and do their own calculations. This entire column is unlocked.
However, as soon as I protection the sheet, stating that they cannot access
locked cells, but can select and format unlocked cells, AUTOSUM is shaded out
and does not work!. If I turn off the protection, it works again. HELP!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Fri, 6 Nov 2009 05:29:01 -0800, Luke M
wrote:

While I agree it is odd that XL doesn't give you the button option, do note
that the keyboard shortcut still works (Alt plus the +/= key)

If you really want a button, you could create this simple macro:

Sub MyAutoSum()
'Performs the keyboard shortcut of AutoSum
Application.SendKeys "%="
End Sub

and then assign it to a custom button on your toolbar.

Can I assign a simple standard function to a button without a macro?