Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Calculated column label in pivot table?

Hello,
I have a data table that includes a date field. What I would like is to be
able to extract the month from each datapoint and use those months as the
column labels. I'd prefer to do it via a calculated item in the pivot table
as opposed to adding columns to the data itself, as the data set is dynamic
and others beside myself add records to it. I don't want to have to go into
the data source and add formulas each time I want to refresh my pivot table.
Is there a way to add a calculated field to a pivot table that can then be
used as a column label? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
--
Mike Lee
McKinney,TX USA
Junior Member

I know this is an old post, but I thought I'd share the solution I found...

Excel does not allow you to add a calculated field to row labels. You can add a calculated item, but it does not really help for this problem.
For this particular problem of breaking the date field into month, year, etc., you can use "Grouping." See he http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ex...010175903.aspx