Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How do I make a vertical report export into a vertical report?

I have a report that exported from our accounting software, unfortunately the
report exported in a vertical format, so the headings are in Column A and the
data is in Column B.

I need to move the headings horizontally (A1, B1, etc) and then have the
data in Column B, associated with the headings in Column A, move to the
correct column. For example:

The report currently looks this way.
Customer Number XXX
Customer Name: XXXXX XXXXX
Address: XXX XXXXXXX
City: XXXXXXX
State: XX
Zip Code: XXXXX

I need it to look like this
Customer Number Customer Name Address City State Zip Code
XXXXX Xxxxxxx
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

This suggestion has lots of assumptions--if your data varies from those
assumptions, you'll want to share a more detailed description of the data
layout.

I'm assuming that column A contains those labels. Column B contains the data to
use. There are always 6 labels per entry--and they're always in the same order.

If all that's true, then put this in C1:
=INDEX($B:$B,(6*(ROW()-1))+(COLUMN()-2))
And drag across to column H

Then select C1:H1 and drag down as far as you need--you'll see 0's if you go too
far.

Then convert all your formulas to values, delete columns A:B and add headers to
your data.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc