Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How do I stop Excel from copying date format from cell above?

In my spreadsheet, I sometimes enter a date format (11/04/2009) in some
cells, but I often want to enter a simple number format in the cell below
(12345). But Excel copies the date format from the cell above, so when I
enter a simple number, it appears as a date. Then I have to select that cell
and go re-set the format back to simple number format. It also copies the
color of the fill from the cell above, which I also don't want.

I tried pre-setting all the cells in that column to simple number, but that
doesn't work; when I enter a simple number below a cell where I entered a
date format, it still changes the new cell into date format, and also copies
the background fill color of the cell above.

Any help would be appreciated.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Once you enter the number; if that is getting changed to date format press
CTRL+SHIFT+~ to return that back to general format..

If you want to trun this feature OFF you can uncheck

In XL2003: ToolsOptionsEdit'Extend data range formats and formulas'

In XL2007: OfficeButtonExcel OptionsAdvancedUnder 'Editing
Options''Extend data range formats and formulas' is checked

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"Seth Hill" wrote:

In my spreadsheet, I sometimes enter a date format (11/04/2009) in some
cells, but I often want to enter a simple number format in the cell below
(12345). But Excel copies the date format from the cell above, so when I
enter a simple number, it appears as a date. Then I have to select that cell
and go re-set the format back to simple number format. It also copies the
color of the fill from the cell above, which I also don't want.

I tried pre-setting all the cells in that column to simple number, but that
doesn't work; when I enter a simple number below a cell where I entered a
date format, it still changes the new cell into date format, and also copies
the background fill color of the cell above.

Any help would be appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank you! Actually I was working in Excel Mac 2008, and I found the "Extend
data range formats and formulas" in Preferences - Edit." I uncheck it, and
it worked!