Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How do I stop copying the cell protection in Excel?

I have set up a worksheet and proteced the valuable cells, so that users can
copy and paste data into a specified section and the worksheet claculates the
variables for them. I have unlocked the cells for people to copy data into,
however, when they copy the data across, the worksheet protects all of the
cells that they have copied across, and they cannot get access to their data.

Is there any way of stopping this - apart from making them unlock the cells
from the data that they copy in the first place??
Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

What version of excel are they using?

I couldn't duplicate this behavior in xl2003. But maybe the behavior changed???

Tell the users to copy from the formula bar and paste into the formula bar.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your input. We are using Microsoft XP, so I am assuming that its
V2003 of excel. I have figured that the reason for this is that the data is
originally a txt dump from an accounting package, and that excel does not
convert the data into excel format. Hence, "Paste Values" does not work -
i.e. all the cell formats are being copied over as well.

If I can ensure that the data is recognised as excel data, not txt, then I
am sure that this will be able to work... the question now is... how do I do
that. Everything that I have tried is giving me the same outcome.

i.e. when I attempt to paste values, it comes up as an excel object and asks
how I would like to paste the object.

Any ideas would be of great assistance.

Thanks

Excel_oz wrote:

I have set up a worksheet and proteced the valuable cells, so that users can
copy and paste data into a specified section and the worksheet claculates the
variables for them. I have unlocked the cells for people to copy data into,
however, when they copy the data across, the worksheet protects all of the
cells that they have copied across, and they cannot get access to their data.

Is there any way of stopping this - apart from making them unlock the cells
from the data that they copy in the first place??
Thanks

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you're using Office XP, then you're using excel 2002.

If you're using Office 2003, then you're using excel 2003.

If you're using WindowsXP, then more info is required.

I suggested pasting directly into the formula bar. Didn't that work?

Excel_oz wrote:

I have set up a worksheet and proteced the valuable cells, so that users can
copy and paste data into a specified section and the worksheet claculates the
variables for them. I have unlocked the cells for people to copy data into,
however, when they copy the data across, the worksheet protects all of the
cells that they have copied across, and they cannot get access to their data.

Is there any way of stopping this - apart from making them unlock the cells
from the data that they copy in the first place??
Thanks

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Dave,

It's not practical to paste directly into the formula bar as I have 3,500
rows and 12 columns of information to paste into the spreadsheet. This would
take hours.

Excel_oz wrote:

I have set up a worksheet and proteced the valuable cells, so that users can
copy and paste data into a specified section and the worksheet claculates the
variables for them. I have unlocked the cells for people to copy data into,
however, when they copy the data across, the worksheet protects all of the
cells that they have copied across, and they cannot get access to their data.

Is there any way of stopping this - apart from making them unlock the cells
from the data that they copy in the first place??
Thanks

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi again,

Never mind, I found a work-around. What I have found is that, if you open 2
different Excel workbooks (i.e. open Excel 2 times) and copy the data from
one Excel to the other, the data becomes an "object". However, If you open
the 2 files in one Excel, the data can be copied and pased without any hastle.

I have no idea why there would be a difference, but there is. I knew that if
I persisted I would get to the bottom of it, but I never thought that doing
it this way would make such a difference.

I hope this may help somone else who has a similar problem / issue.

Thanks all!!!