Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default worksheet set to highlite a cell while data is being entered

Can excel be set so that the active cell is highlighted while data is entered?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

When I select a cell, it is automatically highlighted with a heavy border
around it, so I'm guessing you have something else in mind... if you
describe what it is, maybe we can help you out. Just so you know, whatever
you describe for us will probably require VB code, so be prepared for that.

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"speerchucker30x378" wrote in
message ...
Can excel be set so that the active cell is highlighted while data is
entered?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Select the sheet tab which you want to work with. Right click the sheet tab
and click on 'View Code'. This will launch VBE. Paste the below code to the
right blank portion. Get back to to workbook and try out.

Static mytarget As Range
If Not mytarget Is Nothing Then _
mytarget.Interior.ColorIndex = xlNone
Target.Interior.ColorIndex = 8
Set mytarget = Target
End Sub

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

Can excel be set so that the active cell is highlighted while data is entered?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"speerchucker30x378" wrote:

Can excel be set so that the active cell is highlighted while data is entered?

Hi Jacob
It seams to work but I get an error and the debugger hangs up on line 5 and
it will not proceed to the next cell.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you are willing to tolerate cell color highlighting (it means you can't
have manually colored cells on the worksheet and probably would interfere
with conditional formatting as well), then why not really highlight the
cell...

Cells.Interior.ColorIndex = 0
Union(Target.EntireColumn, Target.EntireRow).Interior.ColorIndex = 8
Target.Interior.ColorIndex = 0

"speerchucker30x378" wrote:

Can excel be set so that the active cell is highlighted while data is
entered?

Hi Jacob
It seams to work but I get an error and the debugger hangs up on line 5
and
it will not proceed to the next cell.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"Rick Rothstein" wrote:

When I select a cell, it is automatically highlighted with a heavy border
around it, so I'm guessing you have something else in mind... if you
describe what it is, maybe we can help you out. Just so you know, whatever
you describe for us will probably require VB code, so be prepared for that.

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"speerchucker30x378" wrote in
message ...
Can excel be set so that the active cell is highlighted while data is
entered?

.
I have a simple invoice system that pretty much had to be custom made for an odd industry. Many of the cells are already surrounded by a border so when I select those cells to enter data into them the highlighted border virtually disappears. If I leave for a moment or two I have to re-select the cell as I can not see which one I have left open.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"speerchucker30x378" wrote:

"Rick Rothstein" wrote:

[...]

Target.Interior.ColorIndex = 8 (THIS SEEMS TO BE WHERE IT HANGS UP) Jacob
Set mytarget = Target

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

'Unable to recreate..Try the below version...

Static mytarget As Range
If Not mytarget Is Nothing Then mytarget.Interior.ColorIndex = xlNone
Target.Interior.Color = vbYellow
Set mytarget = Target
End Sub

If this post helps click Yes