Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default general data convert to numeric.

if i have a value that is exported into excel and shows as general format,
how can i convert to numeric in order to do V-lookups. or is there a way to
do v-lookups off general formatting.

thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

VLOOKUP handles text and numbers so if the numbers are text then enclose the
lookup value in quotes

=VLOOKUP("5",A1:B5,2,FALSE)

or

You should be able to convert the text to numbers by putting a 1 in a cell
and copying it. Select the text numbers and then EDIT|Paste special - select
Multiply
OK

Mike