Old April 13th 15, 06:37 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Can you lock the column width?

On Monday, April 13, 2015 at 5:21:40 PM UTC+2, fn8tt0 wrote:
Has something changed here in the UI? When I follow your path, I
don't see an option to selectively choose what can or cannot be
edited by other users...

What I mean: In Menu Tools Protect Sheet I get to an interface
entitled "Protected Sheets and ranges", and if I click on "Set
Permissions" I only see/am able to add/delete people, but I cannot
finetune WHAT these people are allowed to edit or not....

any help would be much appreciated. I want to lock the column widths
in my sheet, but nothing else (i.e. collaborators should be able to
insert data into cells, but not change column widths)

These options are not where you're looking, which is in *user
permissions*! You need to configure the options in the 'Protect Sheet'
dialog.

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

Old April 30th 15, 10:14 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Wednesday, October 21, 2009 at 7:18:03 PM UTC+2, Nightshade wrote:
I would like to lock the column width, but still allow data to be entered in
the column. Is this possible?

fn8tto did you come right?

I dont know what GS means and i still cant lock column width.

--

Now in 22 countries
Download Zomato: iOS

This email is intended only for the person or the entity to whom it is
addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this email
and contact the sender.
Old April 30th 15, 04:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I dont know what GS means and i still cant lock column width.

Protect the Sheet and while there, set the options for what users are
allowed to do!

Old May 8th 15, 09:35 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Thursday, April 30, 2015 at 11:29:30 PM UTC+8, GS wrote:
I dont know what GS means and i still cant lock column width.

Protect the Sheet and while there, set the options for what users are
allowed to do!

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

I don't think this works anymore. I'm not seeing any of those options at all
Old May 9th 15, 01:39 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Thursday, April 30, 2015 at 11:29:30 PM UTC+8, GS wrote:
I dont know what GS means and i still cant lock column width.

Protect the Sheet and while there, set the options for what users
are allowed to do!

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

I don't think this works anymore. I'm not seeing any of those options
at all

In 2007 and later:
Review tab Changes group Protect Sheet
and set your options in the dialog that displays.

In older versions:
Tools Protection Protect Sheet...

Old May 9th 15, 02:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Wednesday, October 21, 2009 at 12:18:03 PM UTC-5, Nightshade wrote:
I would like to lock the column width, but still allow data to be entered in
the column. Is this possible?

What is your excel version. What happens that makes you want to protect width?
Should all be the same or different widths for different columns? EXAMPLES
Old May 15th 15, 03:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Wednesday, October 21, 2009 at 1:18:03 PM UTC-4, Nightshade wrote:
I would like to lock the column width, but still allow data to be entered in
the column. Is this possible?

I'm having a similar situation where I want to be able to lock Column A to a certain size. The issue is that I have merged cells in rows 1-6, a table of 46 columns and 100 rows, and then ~40 characters of data in column A below the table. I want the table formatted for the info in the cells ignoring the cell data outside the table so when I re-size the table I dont end up with column A with a width of 34 yet only 7 characters of data.

Is this possible?
Old April 15th 16, 03:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Saturday, 9 May 2015 14:17:39 UTC+1, Don Guillett wrote:
On Wednesday, October 21, 2009 at 12:18:03 PM UTC-5, Nightshade wrote:
I would like to lock the column width, but still allow data to be entered in
the column. Is this possible?

What is your excel version. What happens that makes you want to protect width?
Should all be the same or different widths for different columns? EXAMPLES

I'm having the same issue. I want to lock column widths so that users can use a macro to print the sheet (rather than giving them complicated instructions on how to repeat the title row at the start of each page), and I need to stop them innocently changing the column widths and thereby spoiling how the printed version comes out. Now, I can lock the columns, but it also prevents the users from editing the contents, which is not what I want. How do I lock column widths but still allow other things to be edited?

My Excel version is 2010
Old May 31st 16, 07:25 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Jacob, I need to protect the size of the rows and columns in order to have no one change the width and height of rows and columns;
Is there any way to do this?
Thanks!

On Wednesday, October 21, 2009 at 2:24:01 PM UTC-3, Jacob Skaria wrote:
--Select the range of cells in which the user needs to be allowed to enter
data. Right clickProtection tabuncheck 'Locked
--From menuToolsProtectionProtect sheet. From the list allow everything
except 'format columns' and 'format rows'
--Hit OK (If you need you can assign a password..)

If this post helps click Yes
Jacob Skaria

Old November 16th 16, 03:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc