Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How do I have Excel automatically save a file periodically?

I need to have Excel save a file every 30 minutes without any input from the
user. It can overwrite the previous save each time. The "auto-recover"
doesn't give us what we need.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

xl2k and lower had an addin called autosave.xla.

If you can find an old version of that addin (old CD/floppy or an old pc???),
it'll work with newer versions of excel (through xl2007 at least).

ps.

Gord Dibben posted this:

Autosave.xla from Office 2000 or 97 will work with Excel 2002 or 2003.
If you have a previous copy, move it to your Office\Library.
To download the 97 version see here........
http://www.stat.jmu.edu/trep/Marchat/sp2001/Library.htm

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

That requires a macro or 2.
Right click the XL icon in the upper left hand corner of Excel and select
View Code. Paste the following in the code window that opens up.

Private Sub Workbook_Open()
Application.OnTime Now + TimeSerial(0, 30, 0), "SaveMe"
End Sub

On the Insert menu select Module. Paste the following.

Public Sub SaveMe()
ThisWorkbook.Save
Application.OnTime Now + TimeSerial(0, 30, 0), "SaveMe"
End Sub

Next time you open this workbook it will background save the file for you...
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

" wrote:

I need to have Excel save a file every 30 minutes without any input from the
user. It can overwrite the previous save each time. The "auto-recover"
doesn't give us what we need.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Dave

That site is no longer available.

If OP wants to email me at gorddibbATshawDOTca I can send a copy of
Autosave.xla which works with 2007 with or without prompt.

Gord