Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Automatically save a file in another directory

Greetings:

I am hoping someone will help me out with a problem that I am currently
having.

Users all share a common spreadsheet that I have created. I have placed
this spreadsheet in their own sub directory on our server (windows server
2000). I would like the ability to automatically have them save this file,
after they have made their changes, into a different directory on the server.
We are all running Excel 2003. This is a quote form that the users create
for our customers. When finished, they either save the form (replacing my
template), or save it somewhere where later they can't find it. Secondly,
our customer service people also need to reference this quote form. Having a
directory where all of these individual quote forms saved would help us out
tremendously. As easy as it is, they just cant seem to be able to work with
the "save as" function. I know, it's frustrating....

Any ideas?

Thanks for your help!

Mark
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

you could put some sve cod ein the before close event of the the work
book that saves it to the network drive.... USting user and date and
filename.
Only word of caution....is these users always connected to this network
drive?

MarkT wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

First thought that comes to my mind is how to prevent the users from replacing
your form?

Save your workbook form as a Template which will not be overwritten.

FileSave AsFile TypeMS Excel Template(*.xlt)

Have users create workbooks from that template and save to the same folder in
which it is stored..

See help on templates for more.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 14:56:01 -0700, MarkT
wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The users are NOT always connected to the network, they have excel s/s saved
on their local drives as well that they use every day, along with various s/s
on the network drive.