Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How to add up letters to equal a number value.

I'm sure this is easy... I have two columns that contain different letters. I
want to create a cells that will add up all the like letters,(the letters
represent abbreviations for different payor sources) i.e. How many A's, how
many K's, etc. I've used SUMPRODUCT, but get a NAME?error. I guess I don't
know how to represent the letters as numbers. Please help, I'm going nuts!!!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

'number of k's in column A
=COUNTIF(A:A,"A")

'number of K's in column A
=COUNTIF(A:A,"K")

If 'a' or 'k' is within the cell then try
=COUNTIF(A:A,"*A*")

If this post helps click Yes
Jacob Skaria