Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default how to get a text/letters to equal to a percentage

ok..i think this is diffucult, I just dont know cause i have never done this.
but i have a spreadsheet that has two columns one says C/N and the other
percent compliance. the c stands for compliant and the n stands for
noncompliant. basically i want the c & n to equal to a percent in the
percent compliance field, so how do i make the c & n be a "number" and then
equal to a percent???? complicated? confused? there are 5 sections of 5 rows
that have 1 percent compliance field.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Jose,

If I understand the question correctly you need to count the number of c'c
or n's and divide by the sum of the c's and n's and then format the cell with
the formula to percentage.

Assume that the c' and n's are in cells A1:A50 then like this for percentage
of c's

=COUNTIF(A1:A50,"c") / (COUNTIF(A1:A50,"c")+COUNTIF(A1:A50,"n"))

Like this for percentage of n's

=COUNTIF(A1:A50,"n")/(COUNTIF(A1:A50,"c")+COUNTIF(A1:A50,"n"))

OssieMac

"jose l." wrote:

ok..i think this is diffucult, I just dont know cause i have never done this.
but i have a spreadsheet that has two columns one says C/N and the other
percent compliance. the c stands for compliant and the n stands for
noncompliant. basically i want the c & n to equal to a percent in the
percent compliance field, so how do i make the c & n be a "number" and then
equal to a percent???? complicated? confused? there are 5 sections of 5 rows
that have 1 percent compliance field.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

Here is a formula for % compliance assuming your data is in A2:A100

=COUNTIF(A2:A100,"c")/COUNTA(A2:A100)

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"jose l." wrote:

ok..i think this is diffucult, I just dont know cause i have never done this.
but i have a spreadsheet that has two columns one says C/N and the other
percent compliance. the c stands for compliant and the n stands for
noncompliant. basically i want the c & n to equal to a percent in the
percent compliance field, so how do i make the c & n be a "number" and then
equal to a percent???? complicated? confused? there are 5 sections of 5 rows
that have 1 percent compliance field.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Perhaps I should clarify on this "complicated" minor issue. The spreadsheet
has other data in various fields. The data that I need calculated starts
from I7 to I11, then I13 to I17, then I19 to I23, then I25 to I29, then I31
to I35. Then the end result field starts from L7 to L11, L13 TO L17, L19 TO
L23, L25 TO L29, L31 TO L35. Confused???