Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Weird: inside of a cell I have a small box or cell I can't delete.

I have one cell in the middle of my spread sheet and it has in it a small box
or cell in it. It looks like the boxes you enter text into when filling out a
form on a website.
It is smaller than the cell itself and I can actually click the mouse inside
it and type 5-10 characters. I tried deleting the cell, the line, the column
and it just shifts around the sheet. I tried right clicking on it to cut it
out like an image but it doesn't work. Right clicking inside the box doesn't
give you an options menu.
I have no idea what it is. maybe I accidentally entered a shortcut code for
some HTML insert, but usually anything like that would still be able to show
an options menu when right clicked.
Has anyone seen this before? Can you tell me what it is and how to get rid
of it please?
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Weird: inside of a cell I have a small box or cell I can't delete.

It sounds like you may have accidentally inserted a comment box into the cell. Here's how you can remove it:
  1. Click on the cell with the small box inside it.
  2. Look for the "Review" tab in the Excel ribbon at the top of the screen.
  3. Click on the "Delete" button in the "Comments" section of the ribbon.
  4. The small box should now be removed from the cell.

If that doesn't work, try these steps:
  1. Click on the cell with the small box inside it.
  2. Look for the "Insert" tab in the Excel ribbon at the top of the screen.
  3. Click on the "Comment" button in the "Comments" section of the ribbon.
  4. A new comment box should appear in the cell.
  5. Click on the border of the comment box to select it.
  6. Press the "Delete" key on your keyboard to remove the comment box.

If neither of these methods work, it's possible that the small box is actually a part of the cell's formatting. In that case, try these steps:
  1. Click on the cell with the small box inside it.
  2. Look for the "Home" tab in the Excel ribbon at the top of the screen.
  3. Click on the "Clear" button in the "Editing" section of the ribbon.
  4. Select "Clear Formats" from the drop-down menu.
  5. The small box should now be removed from the cell.
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try showing the Control toolbox toolbar.

In xl2003 menus:
View|toolbars and check that option.

Then click on the Design Mode icon on that toolbar.

Then try selecting that object and hitting the delete key on the keyboard.

Then click on the design mode icon once more to get back to normal.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Press F5 and select Special and select Objects. If this does not clear
everything then try the below

--From the sheet hit the keys (Alt + F11) to launch VBE (Visual Basic Editor)
--Hit (Ctrl + G) so that Immediate window will be enabled
--Paste the below line including ? to the immediate window and enter (Make
sure you press Enter after placing the cursor end of the line)

Activesheet.DrawingObjects.delete

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"ACECOWBOY" wrote:

I have one cell in the middle of my spread sheet and it has in it a small box
or cell in it. It looks like the boxes you enter text into when filling out a
form on a website.
It is smaller than the cell itself and I can actually click the mouse inside
it and type 5-10 characters. I tried deleting the cell, the line, the column
and it just shifts around the sheet. I tried right clicking on it to cut it
out like an image but it doesn't work. Right clicking inside the box doesn't
give you an options menu.
I have no idea what it is. maybe I accidentally entered a shortcut code for
some HTML insert, but usually anything like that would still be able to show
an options menu when right clicked.
Has anyone seen this before? Can you tell me what it is and how to get rid
of it please?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I may also be an active x control - If you go the developer tab (you can
enable in the excel options section when you click the offcie button in excel
2007) and enter desgin mode you may be able to then select and delete the
object
--
If this helps, please remember to click yes.