Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default GAL does not show up when e-mailing from Excel 2003

When I open excel and load or create a sheet or workbook, I then try to send
it via e-mail as an attachment (FileSend To) or by clicking the E-mail or
Send as Attachment buttons on the toolbar. The blank mail window opens and I
then click on the "To" button to open the GAL and select recipients, however
the window that opens is showing my Contacts and a drop down has one other
option to select a PAB....no GAL at all.
There is no selection for or way to select the GAL.

What I've checked so far:

I opened the address book in Outlook, selected ToolsOptions and made sure
the addressing "Show this address list first:" is set to the GAL (it is). The
GAL is the only entry in the "When sending mail, check names using these
address lists in the following order:" box.

From Outlook, creating a new e-mail and selecting the "To" button, the GAL
opens as expected. It just doesn't from Excel.

Another oddness; typically you should have Outlook open for all the Office
functions to work correctly, however if Outlook is not open when you select
E-mail from Excel, it should prompt you for the Outlook profile to use. It is
not doing this. Excel just opens the mail window with the same results.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"elance" wrote in message
When I open excel and load or create a sheet or workbook, I then try to
send
it via e-mail as an attachment (FileSend To) or by clicking the E-mail or
Send as Attachment buttons on the toolbar. The blank mail window opens and
then click on the "To" button to open the GAL and select recipients,
however
the window that opens is showing my Contacts and a drop down has one other
option to select a PAB....no GAL at all.
There is no selection for or way to select the GAL.

What I've checked so far:

I opened the address book in Outlook, selected ToolsOptions and made sure
the addressing "Show this address list first:" is set to the GAL (it is).
The
GAL is the only entry in the "When sending mail, check names using these
address lists in the following order:" box.

From Outlook, creating a new e-mail and selecting the "To" button, the GAL
opens as expected. It just doesn't from Excel.

Another oddness; typically you should have Outlook open for all the Office
functions to work correctly, however if Outlook is not open when you
select
E-mail from Excel, it should prompt you for the Outlook profile to use. It
is
not doing this. Excel just opens the mail window with the same results.

Assume you've set Outlook as your default email programme in Windows?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Ok, this is now fixed. The problem, Outlook was not set as the default
e-mail client! What's weird is that Outlook did not protest about this until
today while I was remoted into the user's PC checking other settings when up
popped the box. Even more weird is that the box to make this check every
time Outlook is started was checked (which means it should pop up the box
every time Outlook opens).

Oh well, at least it's fixed.

"elance" wrote:

"Victor Delta" wrote:

"elance" wrote in message
When I open excel and load or create a sheet or workbook, I then try to
send
it via e-mail as an attachment (FileSend To) or by clicking the E-mail or
Send as Attachment buttons on the toolbar. The blank mail window opens and
then click on the "To" button to open the GAL and select recipients,
however
the window that opens is showing my Contacts and a drop down has one other
option to select a PAB....no GAL at all.
There is no selection for or way to select the GAL.

What I've checked so far:

I opened the address book in Outlook, selected ToolsOptions and made sure
the addressing "Show this address list first:" is set to the GAL (it is).
The
GAL is the only entry in the "When sending mail, check names using these
address lists in the following order:" box.

From Outlook, creating a new e-mail and selecting the "To" button, the GAL
opens as expected. It just doesn't from Excel.

Another oddness; typically you should have Outlook open for all the Office
functions to work correctly, however if Outlook is not open when you
select
E-mail from Excel, it should prompt you for the Outlook profile to use. It
is
not doing this. Excel just opens the mail window with the same results.

Assume you've set Outlook as your default email programme in Windows?

Yes, it is.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Bear in mind that yesterday was "Patch Tuesday" (2nd Tuesday of the month),
and that among Microsoft's updates were changes to Outlook, so your updates
may have affected the behaviour.
--
David Biddulph

"elance" wrote:

[...]