Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excel Problems

Hello group
I have some problems with my excel because when I tried to do absolute
reference in getting the percentage and dragging it down it will just
copy what is on the first cell down to the end ..
This what not what it used to be before.
Can anybody tell me how to troubleshoot this?
TIA
Roy
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

It sounds like you want to use *relative* references. Hard to say without
seeing your formula and an explanation of what the formula is supposed to.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Roy" wrote in message
Hello group
I have some problems with my excel because when I tried to do absolute
reference in getting the percentage and dragging it down it will just
copy what is on the first cell down to the end ..
This what not what it used to be before.
Can anybody tell me how to troubleshoot this?
TIA
Roy

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Oct 12, 9:57*am, "Fred Smith" wrote:
What formula are you using?

Regards,
Fred

"Roy" wrote in message

Hello group
I have some problems with my excel because when I tried to do absolute
reference in getting the percentage and dragging it down it will just
copy what is on the first cell down to the end ..
This what not what it used to be before.
Can anybody tell me *how to troubleshoot this?
TIA
Roy- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for the replies ...
I am using step 5 here
http://www.internet4classrooms.com/excel_percent.htm
ever since and never failed me and it was only when I opened my pc
this morning that something peculiar happened
That is why posted it in this group....
Thinking that there might some missing drivers or something like that
contributed to the fault I restarted the PC and everything went back
to normal! what a relief ,,,,the excel works properly now..( a really
strange happening I never experienced before.

I went back and started thinking what I loaded before I calculated the
percentage ....and I suspected it was an excel file I copied from
somebody( loaded with macros) where I calculated percentage and the
fault started appearing...and when I calcu lated the percentage of
another excel file in another window the effect was copied in it
( unable to get percentage)that alarmed me..
I am at a loss for the explanation of this peculiarity why this is
happening....
Roy

I re

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

One possible explanation for the problem you describe is that the cells were
formatted to Text. Text format tells Excel not to change anything that's
typed or copied in.

In the future, remember that people in this discussion group have no idea
what you're doing with Excel. Saying "This what not what it used to be
before" isn't very helpful. To get more accurate and quicker help, simply
state what is happening, and what you want to happen instead. If it's "do
what it did before", then tell us what that is.

Regards,
Fred.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Oct 12, 9:44*pm, "Fred Smith" wrote:
One possible explanation for the problem you describe is that the cells were
formatted to Text. Text format tells Excel not to change anything that's
typed or copied in.

In the future, remember that people in this discussion group have no idea
what you're doing with Excel. Saying "This what not what it used to be
before" isn't very helpful. To get more accurate and quicker help, simply
state what is happening, and what you want to happen instead. If it's "do
what it did before", then tell us what that is.

Does everybody care the way you do.....<grin
Get a life mate.....