nopfusch

Default 2 problems in excel

MS Office 97 upgraded to 2000 with premium J4q4p-7d3g....... available on
request

About 3-4 times a Year (I use Excel very often) I close today a file after
normal saving and switch off the PC. Tomorrow when I switch on and I want to
load the excel file from yesterday, the PC responds "the file is reserved for
Ferdi (its me!) but you may open the file as read only file". Nobody else
works with this PC.
I open the read-only file and save it under another name. No damage.
But why does this happen? I never use file protection. Only sometimes to
protect cells against accidential overtyping. I use then always the same
password. I tried to use this password - no good. My administrator PW for XP
- no good.
What could it be? How can I avoid it?

Since upgrading (Dec. 2004) XPproSp1 to Sp2, the list of the 9 last
filenames worked-on, disappear now and then. Usually the list was always 9,
now I never come higher than 6 - then all disappear from the list. The files
themselfes exist and are intakt. Not a real problem, but incorrect. What can
I do, to prevent the filenames from disappearing?

Can one get updates from MicroSoft Office in the same way as for Windows? If
yes, please provide website address.
Thanks
nopfusch

P4, 2 GHz, 384 MB, 2x 40GB HDD, VGA ATI Radeon 5000,

Dave Peterson

First, don't share/post your product id.

Second, take a look at the response at Debra Dalgleish's FAQ:
http://contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#ReadOnly

--

Dave Peterson
Dave Peterson

And I've never seen the Most Recently Used files change without me screwing it
up.

Tools|options|General Tab
Make sure that the Recently Used file list is set to 9.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/default.aspx
Look at the link in the top right corner.
Check for Updates