Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Saving a spreadsheet so it opens in "Preview" view

I am creating a spreadsheet in Excel that is actually more of a form and I
would like to save it so that when others open it, they see the finished
"form", not all my gridlines and formats. So I'd like to save it so that
when it opens, it's the view you would see in Print Preview. Can I do that?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You could use a macro to show the print preview, but then the user would have to
dismiss it to do anything with the worksheet.

If you don't want to make the worksheet look prettier, you may want to use excel
as the database and use MSWord to make the pretty form.

Then you could use MSWord's mailmerge to create that "form".

Saved from a previous post:

Lots of times, it's easier to use MSWord for printing and Excel (or some other
database application) as the source.

You may want to read some tips for mailmerge.
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/MailMerge

The first is from David McRitchie and the second is by Beth Melton and Dave
Rado.

And if you notice problems with the formatting of data (like zipcodes)...

Debra Dalgleish posted this:

There's an article on the Microsoft web site that might help you:

Answer Box: Numbers don't merge right in Word
http://office.microsoft.com/en-ca/as...164951033.aspx

And if you prefer the old Mail Merge helper, Word MVP Suzanne Barnhill
has instructions he

http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/C...ngWord2002.htm

about half way down the page.

==========
I often cheat instead of racking my brain.

I'll insert another column (probably hidden!) and use:
=text(a2,"ddmmyy")
or
=text(a2,"mm:ss.0")
or
=text(a2,"00000")
(or whatever format I want)
and use that field in the mailmerge.

(Cheating doesn't bother me anymore <vbg.)

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Maybe I should be more specific. I am creating calendar pages. We keep a
company calendar of events and it's constantly changing. In the past I have
used Word, but I'm more comfortable using Excel. Word will change colors on
me for no reason and just seems to have a mind of it's own.

I have created a tab for each month. Nobody else will utilize the
spreadsheet as a spreadsheet - they just need to view the current updated
calendar. I did ask aound to some people who are smarter than me and they
said I need to get set up with our IT guy to save to pdf format. Somehow
it's a printer option....but it will save each tab of my spreadsheet as a
page to view. Hopefully that will work.